Perrin C Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:48:54 -0500

The parentage of Perrin C Cooley has been one of the group's enduring
mysteries. The name Perrin, his birth in Missouri, and his descendants' Y
DNA make it certain that he is one of ours.

We know from Gloria's discovery of the probate record of Perrin Sr's son,
James, had brothers John (m Martha Bearden) and Perrin. Of course, most of
us assumed that Perrin was Perrin Jr--and that may be true.

Then Gloria made another discovery a few months ago--that her autosomes
have a matching segment to Jack Cooley, Perrin C's descendant. The
predicted relationship is 4th to 5th cousins. Here's a page I put together
at that time:

http://ancestraldata.com/staging/N70352-autosomes.html

The first question that needed be settled was whether the match indeed
came down through the Cooleys. That's been largely resolved. Gloria's
mother, a Cooley descendant, has tested. Her results exhibit the same
markers that Gloria has. That greatly increases the likelihood that the
match comes down through a Cooley common ancestor.

But the match, as I explain in this paragraph, reveal nothing more about
the degree of relationship with Jack. Typically, a child is going to
inherit a smaller portion (if any at all) of the matching segment. (The
genome needs to make room for a host of new ancestral DNA derived from the
second parent.) For example, my dad's autosomes have a reasonably large
match to Jack's uncle. I inherited less than a third of it. However,
Gloria inherited virtually all of her mother's matching segment, which (I
would think) is typically within the range of common possibilities. The
upshot of that is that the predicted relation between Gloria's mother and
Jack is pretty much the same as that for Gloria and Jack.

In playing around with the results, I can tweak the parameters of the
online tools I use and search for very small matching segments which,
individually, are quite trivial. However, Gloria has only about one third
of those matches to Jack then her mother does. I'm my no means an expert
in autosomal DNA, but there might be something there that can hep us
fine-tune the relationship prediction.

For now, we're still left with the dilemma: who was Perrin C's father. If
we can determine the degree of relationship, we might be able to answer
that question. I've started a project to help us examine the autosomes of
John's descendants. If any of you have tested, please consider joining by
sending me an email.

http://johncooley.net/johnsauto/

I'm still of the opinion that Perrin might have had a fifth as of yet
identified son. The 1800 and 1810 census records suggest at the
possibility. The 1840 census for "Derrin" Cooley of Randolph County, MO
has two men 20-29. One would have been Perrin Jr. Could the other be
Perrin C, who would have been 20 that year? The census entries for Perrin
Sr includes a boy 10-14. Was he a grandson? If so, could he have been the
son of this missing 5th son of Perrin's? We know that John Cooley
(1827-1900+) m Sarah Ann Treadwell was born in Missouri. Is this him? If
so, might he and Perrin C have been brothers? I'm on the hunt for a Y
descendant of John's.

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/1840-MO.html

BTW, we've found a tester in the Cooley/Hardin line.

-Michael