Re: Old Bailey Court Records for John Cooley & Alexander M'Donald,

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:28:03 -0700

I am sure this would be the Alexander McDonald transported in 1753 on the Tryal with John Cooley. Alexander was sentenced in June & John in July of 1753. I also found it interesting that Alexander McDonald was servant for a “Scotch” peddler.

So far, I haven’t seen anything to indicate why John Cooley was listed as “Cooley, Thomas (John)”. I got a book yesterday that I had ordered on Amazon.com – “The Complete Book of Emigrants in Bondage 1614-1775”. There is a John McCollie from Durham listed as Sentenced in Summer 1753. No ship is listed – so maybe he wasn’t transported.

I am going to do more exploring on the Old Bailey website. I still am intrigued by the 1746 John Cooley.

Mary C.