1804 & 1805 Land Deeds from John Cooley to sons in Stokes Co., NC

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:27:34 -0700

Does anyone know why John's spouse was not included in the three land deeds?
I have seen deeds without spouses included and assumed they must have been
dead. What about dower rights? Most land deeds that I have seen include a
statement that the spouse had been questioned personally & separately from
her spouse to ascertain whether she willingly was giving up her dower
rights. Were land laws differ from state to state?

Mary Cooley