Re: Tax List 1775, Surry County, NC lists John & son James Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:10:17 -0700

Hi Mary,

Personally, I still reference those tax lists in my notes. I truly think
that John was in VA during that time but, at this point, we just can't
know for sure.

This is what the census records show for Franklin's birth

1850 c1825
1860 c1822
1870 c1825
1880 c1827
1900 1830

Also, I suspect that he provided the info for the biography himself.

But there is something else to support your argument. Children are
generally listed in order of birth in probate records. Joseph's puts
Franklin between Jackson and Eli, making his possible birth date between
1817-1821, possibly 1819.

Judging from all that he was involved in per the biography, I bet there's
a whole lot more archival information to be found about Franklin. He's
definitely worth some study.

Thanks for the findagrave reference. I've copied so many of those. I'm
surprised I never got around to looking for Franklin!

-Michael