John Cooley's death

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:37:58 -0700

As most of you probably know, nothing relating to the death of John has
ever been found. The assumption has long been that he died in Casey county
KY but it's also possible that he traveled to MO with his three sons. If
we accept that as a possibility, then we'd also have to accept that he may
have gone to Indiana to join Edward. I believe that neither scenario is
likely.

John Cooley last appears on the record on the 1811 tax list. In that year,
his sons James, Perrin and Joseph leave for MO. During the same year,
John's son Edward finally leaves Stokes county NC and goes to Indiana.
Cornelius, presumably John's son, last appears in the Casey county tax
list in 1810. I think there's every reason to believe that he is the
Cornelius Cooley who shows up a short time later living near William
Matthews Cooley--who we now know to have been of the clan--in Stewart
county TN.

So, there may have been at least five sons on the move in 1811. I believe
John's death would best explain that movement. Although a will for John
has not been found, the sons might well have inherited something of value.

-Michael