Re: Elizabeth F. Cooley

From: The Cooleys <lvcooley5_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:11:56 -0700

I'm wondering if the Michigan tangent is based on the 1880 Dickson Co.
census: If you look at Elizabeth's birth place, the enumerator wrote
out the word Missouri, but appears to have tried to blot it out,
possibly realizing that previously all the states had been abbreviated.
It also appears that a capital "I" was inserted over the middle of the
word Missouri, covering both of the S's. Then for her father's birth
place, the abbreviation MI is used but this is an error by the
enumerator, mistaking the abbreviation for Missouri as MI instead of
MO. The proof is that Elizabeth's children are listed here with
mother's birth place as MI, clearly contradicting not only her birth
place on this very census but what was written in the 1850 and 1860 as well.

Of course, it's possible that your cousin has other information
regarding her father's roots in Michigan. It will prove very
interesting if this is true for a number of reasons. For one, I
believe this would be the first instance of any possible descendant of
John Cooley north of Indiana, which at an estimated year of birth
(1810?) would put him there long before Michigan was admitted to the
union. Another consideration would be that the descendants of the
Massachusetts Cooleys, who were spreading their way ever westward
though I'm not sure if they were in Michigan Territory by the early
1800s. I think the only way to otherwise read the 1880 census,
however, is that Elizabeth, at that very moment, corrected her own
longstanding error: That she was, in fact, born in Michigan and not
Missouri.

Or the census taker messed up.

Please keep us posted!

Jim