[List] Cooley Documents

Shirley Wilcox slwilcox at juno.com
Mon May 14 20:07:39 PDT 2007

I leave in the morning for the NGS conference in Richmond, so don't have
much time. See the obits for Nancy Cooley Fees at
http://www.cagenweb.com/lake/lakobits.htm#C

I'll try to answer the questions about James Cooley next week after I get
back from the conference.

Shirley

On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:41:37 -0700 michael at newsummer.com writes:
> Sorry, Sandy, I had meant to adrress that question to Shirley. (And I
> had
> meant the John Cooley who she's descended from.) But it's good to
> know that
> you're looking too. :)
>
> Shirley, you mentioned that James had a son named Absolam. Do you
> know any
> more about him? That name makes me think of the MA Cooleys.
>
> -Michael
> > --- michael at newsummer.com wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, yes, the Lakeport Cooley. I remember now. My
> > > father's mother lived in
> > > Lakeport as a child during the 1910s.
> > >
> > > Sandy, have you found any obits for John's children?
> > >
> > > I'd like to encourage everyone on the list to post
> > > info about their earliest
> > > Cooleys. Who knows what help may be lurking out
> > > there.
> > >
> > > -Michael

On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:31:08 -0400, Shirley Wilcox wrote

OK, here is my family. I'm searching for the parents of John Cooley, born
1792-96 in KY. He married Annis Ann Harden,
daughter of Electious Hardin, 3 Nov. 1816, Overton Co., TN. The marriage
date and place was in his war of 1812 pension. Since
she too was from Adair Co., I can't figure out why they married in TN. I
think he died 30 June 1880 in Lake Co., CA (a date in the
Frank Knox diary). Annis out lived him, but I don't know when she died.
Neither has a tombstone in the Hartley Cemetery, Lakeport, CA,
where so many of my other relatives are buried.

I have  identified five children for John Cooley

1. Nancy Ann (my line), b 3 Nov 1818, nr Columbia, Adair Co., KY, m Jacob
Fees, 9 Feb 1836, Adair Co., KY, d. 8 May 1912, Lakeport, Lake Co., CA;
bur. Hartley Cem., Lakeport

2. Felix, b 1820-25, KY, m Sarah M Worth, 19 Jan 1843, Henry Co, IA,  d
20 Oct 1913, bur. Glendale Cem., Des Moines twp., Polk Co., IA

3. Mary Ann, b. ca. 1825, KY, m. Isaac Stormer, 28 Nov 1844, Des Moines
Co., IA, d. 1852 near the Platte River, on the west side of Camp Creek,
NE, on wagon train to OR

4. John, b. ca. 1824-7, KY, m Sophia Caroline Lane, 27 Feb 1851, Des
Moines Co., IA, d. by 1870?

5. Lydia Ann, b. Oct 1831, KY, m  Archer/Archie/Atchy Bridges, 17 Dec
1846, Des Moines Co, IA, d 1910, bur. Oak Hill Cem., Red Bluff,
Tehama Co., CA

In the 1880 census John says his father and mother were born in VA. When
John enlisted for the war at Richmond, Madison  Co., KY,  it was in
the regular army, not as a volunteer. One of the families I have been
looking at as possible parents is James Cooley who probably married
Patience Baker as his second wife. That marriage took place 30 Sept.
1802, Madison Co., KY. They have a slew of kids that have not been
identified.

According to his Revolutionary War pension, James Cooley was born 19 Oct.
1760, VA. He resides NC, Craven Co., SC, Surry Co., NC,
Montgomery Co., VA and Madison Co., KY. From a Madison Co., KY deed I
know he had a son Absolam. This James Cooley may be the man of that name
on the 1788 tax list of Montgomery Co.,VA. He is not there the following
year. A James Cooley first appears on the Madison Co., KY tax list in
1794. He had 1 m 21+, 3 cattle, and no land. In 1799 he purchased 56
acres on Paint Lick Creek from James Long and he sold it in 1803 to John
Roberts. When he sold it, it was described as 56 acres on Silver Creek.

Shirley