[List] My updated yDNA results are in

Cooley cool.hg.r1a at gmail.com
Sat May 12 16:28:36 PDT 2007

Hi Michael:

Note that we are only a genetic distance of 2 apart over FTDNA's 37 markers
(not 3 as you stated). So it seems very likely we are indeed 5th cousins
twice removed as the Cooley pedigree says.

Note that we disagree at only these 2 markers:

At DYS449 you are 34, I'm 33.
At DYS607 you are 15, I'm 16.

We are both 11 at GATA H4. (The reason you may think I'm 12 there is because
Relative Genetics adds one to the FTDNA's GATA H4 values.)

The following is from the FTDNA link you sent (The page labeled Y-DNA
Matches). *Please click on the link to move your new markers to ySearch.org.
*

[clip]

Understanding <http://www.familytreedna.com/trs_explain.html> matches with
different surnames.

Understanding <http://www.familytreedna.com/trs_gendist.html> genetic
distance.

Understanding <http://www.familytreedna.com/trs_ftdnatip.html> the FTDNATiP
™

GEDCOM Available

*Additional possibilities for searching matches:*
Your results have been updated with the increased number of markers.

Click here to upload the additional markers to Ysearch.org
<http://www.ysearch.org/foreigndata_start.asp?providerkey=57597&pin=G2473&lastname=Cooley&country=Unknown+Origin&haplo=-&email=michael_95073@yahoo.com&L1=13&L2=24&L3=15&L4=0&L5=11&L6=11&L7=13&L8=12&L9=12&L10=10&L11=13&L12=11&L13=30&L14=15&L15=9&L16=9&L17=11&L18=11&L19=23&L20=14&L21=20&L22=34&L23=12&L24=13&L25=15&L26=16&L27=0&L28=0&L29=0&L30=11&L31=11&L32=19&L33=21&L34=16&L35=15&L36=17&L37=17&L38=34&L39=38&L40=13&L41=11>

   *12 Marker Y-DNA (2)*

*Exact Matches*

Name

E-mail

Mr. William Walter Whitfield

bwhitfield at hotmail.com

Mr. Donald Wayne Cooley (Y67)

cool.hg.r1a at gmail.com
[image: Run FTDNATiP Comparison]
<http://www.familytreedna.com/ftdnatip.aspx?res=STR&tokitnum=57597&fromkitnum=N3690&gd=0>
[image: View GEDCOM]

*25 Marker Matches (1)*

*Genetic Distance - 1*

*Name*

*E-mail*

Mr. Donald Wayne Cooley (Y67)

cool.hg.r1a at gmail.com
[image: Run FTDNATiP Comparison]
<http://www.familytreedna.com/ftdnatip.aspx?res=PP3&tokitnum=57597&fromkitnum=N3690&gd=1>
[image: View GEDCOM]

*37 Marker Matches (1)*

*Genetic Distance - 2*

*Name*

*E-mail*

Mr. Donald Wayne Cooley (Y67)

cool.hg.r1a at gmail.com
[image: Run FTDNATiP Comparison]
<http://www.familytreedna.com/ftdnatip.aspx?res=PP5&tokitnum=57597&fromkitnum=N3690&gd=2>
[image: View GEDCOM]

*****

Here is FTDNA's Table:

    *Interpreting Genetic Distance within Surname Projects*

*37 Markers *

  *Distance*

*Relatedness*

*Explanation*

0

Very Tightly Related

37/37 Your perfect match means you share a common male ancestor with a
person who shares your surname (or variant). Your relatedness is extremely
close with the common ancestor predicted, 50% of the time, in 5 generations
or less and with a 90% probability within 16 generations. Very few people
achieve this close level of a match. *All* confidence levels are well within
the time frame that surnames were adopted in Western Europe.

1

Tightly Related

36/37 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you
mismatch by only one 'point' at only one marker--a 36/37 match. It's most
likely that you matched 24/25 or 25/25 on a previous Y-DNA test and your
mismatch will be found within DYS 576, 570, CDYa or CDYb. Very few people
achieve this close level of a match. Your mismatch is within the range of
most well established surname lineages in Western Europe.

*2*

*Related*

35/37 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you
mismatch by only two 'points' --a 35/37 match. It's most likely that you
matched 24/25 or 25/25 on previous Y-DNA tests and your mismatch will be
found within DYS 439 or DYS 385 A, 385 B,389-1 and 389-2, from our first
panel of 12 markers, or from within the second panel at DYS #'s 458, 459 a,
459b, 449, or within 464 a-d. If you matched exactly on previous tests you
probably have a mismatch at DYS 576, 570, CDYa or CDYb in our newest panel
of markers. Your mismatch is likely within the range of most well
established surname lineages in Western Europe.

3

Related

34/37 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you
mismatch by three 'points' --a 34/37 match. Because of the volatility within
some of the markers this is slightly tighter then being 11/12 or 23/25 and
it's most likely that you matched 24/25 or 25/25 on previous Y-DNA tests.
Your mismatch will most often be found within DYS 439 or DYS 385 A, 385
B,389-1 and 389-2 from our first panel of 12 markers, or within the second
panel: DYS #'s 458, 459 a, 459b, 449, or within 464 a-d. If you matched
exactly on previous tests you probably have a mismatch at DYS 576, 570, CDYa
or CDYb in our newest panel of markers. Your mismatch is likely within the
range of most well established surname lineages in Western Europe.

4

Probably Related

33/37 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you
mismatch by four 'points' --a 33/37 match. Because of the volatility within
some of the markers this is about the same as being 11/12 and it's most
likely that you matched 23/25 or 24/25 on previous Y-DNA tests. If you
matched exactly on previous tests you probably have a mismatch at DYS 576,
570, CDYa or CDYb in our newest panel of markers. If several or many
generations have passed it is likely that these two lines are related
through other family members. That would require that each line had passed a
mutation and one person would have experienced at least 2 mutations. The
only way to confirm is to test additional family lines and find where the
mutations took place. Only by testing additional family members can you find
the person in between each of you...this 'in betweener' becomes essential
for you to find, and without him the possibility of a match exists, but
further evidence must be pursued. If you test additional individuals you
will most likely find that their DNA falls in-between the persons who are 4
apart demonstrating relatedness within this family cluster or haplotype.

5

Only Possibly Related

32/37 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you
mismatch by five 'points' --a 32/37 match. It is most likely that you did
not 12/12 or 24/25 or 25/25 in previous Y-DNA tests. If several or many
generations have passed it is possible that these two group members are
related through other family members. That would require that each line had
experienced separate mutations and one person would have experienced at
least 2 mutations. The only way to confirm or deny is to test additional
family lines and find where the mutation took place. Only by testing
additional family members can you find the person in between each of
you...this 'in betweener' becomes essential for you to find, and without him
only the possibility of a match exists, further evidence should be pursued.
If you test additional individuals you must find the person whose DNA
results falls in-between the persons that are 5 apart demonstrating
relatedness within this family cluster or haplotype.

6

Not Related

31/37 is too far off to be considered related, unless you can find an
"in-betweener' as for determining 'Only Possibly Related,' above. It is
important to determine what set of results most typifies the largest number
members of the group you are 'close' to matching. You may be 31/37 with an
individual, but 34/37 with the center of the group, and your potential
relatedness to him is through the center of the group.

Beyond 6

Not Related

30/37 You are not related and the odds greatly favor that you have not
shared a common male ancestor with this person within thousands of years.
You are probably even in different Haplogroups on the Phylogenetic
tree of *Homo
Sapiens.*

| *top* <http://www.familytreedna.com/GDRules_37.html#jumptop> |

*Family Tree DNA - Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
World Headquarters
1919 North Loop West, Suite 432 Houston, Texas 77008, USA
Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (713) 868-4584 *
*info at FamilyTreeDNA.com
All Contents Copyright 2001-2007 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.*

I "CC'd" Greg Parker on this reply. As the administrator of the Cooley Y-DNA
Project I believe he automatically got your update from FTDNA.

Best Wishes,
Don