[List] Cooley Documents

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Fri May 11 10:54:32 PDT 2007

Hi Dennis,

One of the things that strikes me about these letters is that Virginia is
frequently mentioned as the origin of these Cooleys, rather than North
Carolina, where my Cooleys came from. Furthermore, Stephen Fisher mentions
that William Aaron Cooley came from VA c1780 and that he was the progenitor of
those Cooleys (no mention of Daniel Cooley m Mildred Ball). What's your take
on this? Do you think that Daniel's descendants have been misidentified but
instead belong to another family?

(BTW, one of my objectives is not so much to prove that all of these Cooleys
were related but to try to verify (or disprove, for that matter) any aspect to
the "traditional" family group sheet for John Cooley of Stokes county.)

What I have seen of these letters would indicate to me that these branches
were not related to John and I'd normally go on from there. But we have seen
how one small piece of misplaced information can go a long way toward
corrupting the true story. There is also at least one illustration in the
letters how family bibles themselves, and written by a person who would well
know, can be wrong.

With all of this in mind, do you have any leads as to living male descendants
of the "Daniel" family? To be sure, Don and I would love to get a peek at
their yDNA! :)

Thanks again for all of this, Dennis!

A note to the list: It would be great if some of you had time to transcribe
some of this as plain text and submit to the list--even if just some of the
shorter pieces. The more that is searchable by the Net at large the more
likely that other researchers will find us.

And a note about yDNA: It's simply a swab taken from the inside of the cheek.
No blood. :)

-Michael

On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:17:04 -0700, Dennis A. Young wrote