[List] Cooley Documents

Dennis A. Young day at eskimo.com
Thu May 10 23:17:04 PDT 2007

I don't believe so.  This is Daniel B. Cooley, b. in Lincoln Co., KY,
served in the War of 1812, and d. in 1864.  In the part of the letter where
Moses says that "... Daniel Cooley left Virginia to come to Kentucky on
account of one of his boys shooting a man in an argument," Mildred added a
note that said:  "Not my direct line.  Daniel _may_ have been a cousin to
my James."

A few pages later where Moses goes on to describe his ggf being scalped by
indians, Mildred added a note that said:  "This story was known to my
grandfather.  So Dan'l Sr. must have been a bro. of my James - rather an
uncle."

There are also two entries in The Cooley Genealogy that relate, both
submitted by Mildred:

p. 952 (Unplaced Cooleys)
WILLIAM AARON [COOLEY] of Adair, Ky., b. 1807; d. 1845; m. Susan Hovious;
may have been a brother of James, b. 1795, and of John of Carrollton, Mo.,
b. 1789.  (Mrs. Mildred Cooley Tallant, Glendale, Calif.)

p. 953 (Unplaced Cooleys)
WILLIAM AARON [COOLEY] of Adair Co., Ky.; may have had sons Daniel and
James, the ancestors of M. E. Cooley of Macon, Ga., and Mrs. Mildred Cooley
Tallant, Glendale, Calif., respectively.

There are two other Hovious women that married into the family.  Nancy
Hovins married Elisha Fisher, gs of William Aaron.  And Savannah Hovins
married Aaron Adair Cooley, brother to James of 1795, and both sons of
William Aaron.

Take a look at the Stephen Fisher letter.  William Aaron Cooley was his
gggf, and he talks more about the family and their migrations.

Dennis