[List] Fw: Another John Cooley born England

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Thu Apr 19 22:26:12 PDT 2007

Hi Mary,

I'm copying this to the list as others may find it of interest.

Quite a bit about the James Cooley of Charles City County VA can be found on
the Net. There's not much about the James of Madison County KY. I have seen
portions of his pension record transcribed online but the whole file is 7
pages long. The last page is a 1931 typewritten letter from the National
Archives to Mrs J Frank Thompson of Columbia MO. The following is interesting
as it places him very near to my John Cooley during the war:

"...was taken prisoner near the Moravian Town in Surry County [NC], by
Tarleton's Light Horse, and was liberated after the surrender of Cornwallis at
Yorktown."

It would be interesting to learn more about the campaign in Surry County.
Certainly, John Cooley and his family would have overheard first-hand accounts
of any skirmishes that would have occurred.

The whole file is worth transcribing.

And thanks for the information about William. I'd never read anything about
him. But there doesn't seem to be much of anything to connect the two men
together other than their mutual residence of Madison County. Their presence
there may well have been nothing more than coincidence.

Thanks again.
Michael

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:25:51 -0700, Mary Cooley wrote