[List] Cornelius Cooley

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Wed Mar 14 21:43:45 PDT 2007

Nor was he, so far as I know, on any of the census records.

I wonder if this is a Cornelius of a later generation,perhpas an undocumented
son of John 2. Since there's a 35 year lapse from the 1810 entry the first
could have died. I've been sorta toying with the idea that Cornelius may have
moved to Stewart County TN and was the Cornelius Cooley from there who died in
New Orleans in 1815. Of course, that's a very big jump. But we see that
William Cooley made that move. And it's still really iffy because we don't
know yet what relationship there may have been, if any, between William and
our Cooleys. If, in fact, there was a relationship then it could make sense
that Cornelius joined his relative. The earliest record I'm aware of for him
is an Oct 1814 deed in Stewart county, only about 4 months before he died.

Well, it's nothing more than speculation.

Cornelius is a hard name to track. Most of my searches turn up nothing. What
would be some probable variants on the name? I can't find anything using any
variant I can think of for the 1820 census--anywhere in the US. What would
common nicknames be? Neil is the only one I can think of.

-Michael

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:17:42 -0700 (PDT), Sandra Stanton wrote