[List] Cornelius Cooley

Sandra Stanton sandystanton at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 14 16:17:42 PDT 2007

Cornelius Cooley was born ca. 1781 and was a son of
John Cooley and his wife [name unknown]. When most of
the Cooleys left Stokes County, NC and went to
Kentucky Cornelius went with them.  I have found
Cornelius on the 1808 tax list for Casey County, KY as
1 white male over 21 and has 1 horse. Then on the 1810
tax list he is recorded again as 1 white male over 21
with 4 horses.

I had found nothing further on him until I checked the
book, People of Early Casey County Kentucky by Faye
Bastin Paevey Cornett. There is a deed listed as
follows:
Cooley, Cornelius to Carpenter, G.T; Deed Bk 5, page
123, 1845 Stock.

I take it he is selling horses, etc.  Why wasn't he
found on other tax lists? Even if he rented his land
he would still have to pay tax on himself and horses.

I hope someone has more information on him than I do.

Thanks, Sandy