[List] 1850 census IA

Shirley Wilcox slwilcox at juno.com
Sat Mar 3 08:15:42 PST 2007

This is simply a hypothesis. Here is my rational for placing James as a
son of Edward Cooley (I've also included his movements)
On the 1850 census of Appanoose Co., IA, Edward Cooley has a son
Armstrong, b. ca 1830, IN
James A. Cooley m. Elmira Mooreland, 13 Jan 1855, Appanoose Co., IA (FHL
#1,007,081)
On the 1860 census Appanoose Co., IA a James Cooley (b c1831, IN) &
Elmira plus daughters Elizabeth & Sarah are living next to A. W. Cooley
(b. c1828, IN), who I have speculated was Aaron W Cooley and the oldest
son of Edward
History of Appanoose Co., IA (Western Hist. Co., 1878), p414: 36th
Infantry, Co I: Jas A Cooley, enl. 11 Oct 1862
James A Cooly m Mary A Tyler, 22 April 1866, Putnam Co., MO (from FHL
#431,521, Broderbund Family Archive CD 234)
On the 1870 census Putnam Co., MO, James Cooley has a new wife May,
daughters Elizabeth (15) & Sarah J (12) then a Charles (3) & Louis A (1).
Living in the household is Thomas Cooley, 19, b. IA (perhaps his brother
& a son of Edward Cooley; see 1860 census Appanoose Co., IA)
In 1880 J A Cooley (b c1830, IN) is a miller in Madison Co., MO; par.
both b IN, which does not agree with what is known about Edward, but
census records are not too reliable; wife May & son C E (10, b MO) &
George (8, b MO)
Shirley