[List] Stephen L Cooley death certificate...

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Tue Jan 9 11:41:56 PST 2007

Yes, there are a lot of inconsistencies in census. (I have an ancestress who was described as male on the 1880 census. I like to think it was because she was smoking her pipe.)

In 1910, Stephen states that his father was born in NC. All put together these statements actual represent a pattern. Essentially, Reuben's descendants  were aware of a heritage in several places: KY, NC and Eng. And these places fit. In other words, there are no statements that are completely off the wall, such as New Hampshire. Edmund Cooley (John, John) said his father was born in VA.

And yes, the certificate you mention below is the one that I ordered.

I wrote the following last night but set it aside for edit. I'll forgo the edit and send it on as is.....

I'm looking right now at the 1900 census for Stephen. It states that both of
his parents were born in KY. Clearly, Reuben was not. The Reuben of Marion
County found on the 1850 census was born in NC. Although it's not a popular
opinion :), I'm still looking for another man who may have been Stephen's father.

Looking further, Stephen states in the 1900 census that his father was born in
Kentucky. Rubin Cooley, age 40 and son of George W(ashington?) Cooley states
his father was born in KY. Joseph Cooley, another son of George, states
parents were born in KY. James Cooley, son of George, give parents born KY.
Cornelius Cooley, 36 and brother of Stephen, states his parents born in KY.
However, on the 1910 census Stephen -does- say his father was born in NC.

George W Cooley was in Casey County, not Marion County, in 1880. He gives his
age as 79 (born ca 1801) and he and parents born in NC. Am I confusing two
Georges?

On the 1910 census, I see a Daniel Cooley in Hayesville, Marion Co, KY, born
c1878, married Lizzie, son Rubin, daughter Bettee. Does anyone know where he
fits in?

I see a Rubin Cooly (note spelling) of Hayesville, 1900, married Mary, sons
Florance and Will. I've revised the birthdates on the "Y" page based on that.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:00:56 -0800, Cool_hg_R1a wrote
> I have Stephen dying in Marion County, Kentucky. And the 1880 & 1900 Census (see below) says he was living in Haysville, Marion Co., Kentucky and that  his dad was born in Kentucky, not England. Also tossed in 1860 Census.
>
> Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000 Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000

Name: Stephen L Cooley

Death Date: 7 Jan 1918

Death Place: Marion

Age: 075

Volume: 5

Certificate: 2318

> Source Information:
>
> Commonwealth of Kentucky, Health Data Branch, Divisision of Epidemiology and Health Planning, comp.. Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Original data: Commonwealth of Kentucky, Health Data Branch, Divisision of Epidemiology and Health Planning. Kentucky Death Index, 1911-present. Frankfort, KY, USA: Kentucky Department of Information Systems.
> This database contains an index to more than 2.6 million death records of individuals who passed away in the State of Kentucky, USA, from 1911 on. All records contain the following information: name of the individual, date of death, county of death, county of residence, age at death, and volume and certificate number.
>

> ******
>
> 1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census

Name: Stephen Cooley

Home in 1880: Haysville, Marion, Kentucky

Age: 36

Estimated birth year: abt 1844

Birthplace: Kentucky

Relation to head-of-household: Self (Head)

Spouse's name: Linda

Father's birthplace: KY

Mother's birthplace: KY

Neighbors: View others on page

Occupation: Farmer

Marital Status: Married

Race: White

Gender: Male

> Cannot read/write:
>
> Blind:
>
> Deaf and dumb:
>
> Otherwise disabled:
>
> Idiotic or insane:
>
> View image

Household Members:

 Name  Age
 Stephen Cooley  36
 Linda Cooley  27
 Marthy Cooley  14
 Sam M. Cooley  11
 Lulu Cooley  9
 Raymond Cooley  6
 Idah Cooley  4
 Handcock Cooley  5M

> Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Haysville, Marion, Kentucky; Roll: T9_432; Family History Film: 1254432; Page: 87.1000; Enumeration District: 179; Image: 0176.
> Source Information:
>
> Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. 1880 U.S. Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. All use is subject to the limited use license and other terms and conditions applicable to this site. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Tenth Census of the United States, 1880. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1880. T9, 1,454 rolls.
> This database is an index to 50 million individuals enumerated in the 1880 United States Federal Census. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, address, occupation, relationship to the head of household, race, sex, age at last birthday, marital status, place of birth, parents' place of birth. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1880 Federal Census.
>

> ****
>
> 1900 United States Federal Census 1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Stephen Cooley

Home in 1900: Haysville, Marion, Kentucky

Age: 56

Estimated birth year: abt 1844

Birthplace: Kentucky

Relationship to head-of-house: Head

Spouse's name: Laurinda

Race: White

Occupation: View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members:

 Name  Age
 Stephen Cooley  56
 Laurinda Cooley  51
 Mercer Cooley  31
 Leven Cooley  17
 Sady Cooley  10

> Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Haysville, Marion, Kentucky; Roll: T623 542; Page: 16A; Enumeration District: 71.
> Source Information:
>
> Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls.
> This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1900 United States Federal Census, the Twelfth Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, address, relationship to the head of household, color or race, sex, month and year of birth, age at last birthday, marital status, number of years married, the total number of children born of the mother, the number of those children living, birthplace, birthplace of father and mother, if the individual was foreign born, the year of immigration and the number of years in the United States, the citizenship status of foreign-born individuals over age twenty-one, occupation, and more. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1900 Federal Census.
>

> ****************
>
> 1860 United States Federal Census 1860 United States Federal Census

Name: Stephen Cooley

Age in 1860: 18

Birth Year: abt 1842

Birthplace: Kentucky

Home in 1860: District 2, Marion, Kentucky

Gender: Male

Post Office: Bradfordsville

Value of real estate: View image

Household Members: