[List] Another Reuben Cooley & a Thaddius Cooley

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Thu Dec 14 15:41:43 PST 2006

Hi Shirley,

What you've sent has been very helpful. Keep it up. :)

I think that I'm closing in on the William Cooley formerly of Washington
county KY. There are several reasons I think he may be the William Matthews
Cooley of Surry county:

1. William Matthews Cooley is mentioned with John Sr and John Cooley Jr in
Surry county NC.

2. He lasts appears in Surry in 1786 and first appears in KY in 1789 (as far
as I can see so far).

3. His son Richard was born in NC ca 1785.

4. It's beginning to appear he lived very near to Reuben Cooley in Washington
(that part that is now in Marion) county KY, next to Casey county.

5. He can be found as late as 1804 in Washington county KY and first shows in
Stewart county TN in 1806.

So far there is no overlapping of dates and places. It really looks like he
went to KY ca 1787-88 and from there to TN ca 1805.

Hmmmmm.....Something interesting just came to mind. I think the earliest we
can place Reuben in KY is 1806--about the time that William likely moved out.
If so, they were not neighbors...but maybe it's the same land! Could it be
possible, I wonder, that William Cooley deeded his land to Reuben Cooley ca
1805/6? Does anyone know how complete the land records for Washington county
are for that decade?

More interesting KY maps:

http://jrshelby.com/hcl/ky.htm

And this for NC. Hit the "play" button:

http://www.mynorthcarolinagenealogy.com/nc_maps/nc_cf.htm

-Michael

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:35:00 -0500, Shirley Wilcox wrote