Re: The John Cooleys 1840 MO

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:24:35 -0700

Not sure. That was one of my first guesses when we first started writing
to one another, simply because so much was known about the families of the
other brothers. But here's the thing, the John Cooley on the 1850 and 1860
Macon county MO census records is also a good candidate to be Perrin's
son. He and wife Millie are living next to Perrin Jr and Lucinda in 1850.
This causes me to consider another possibility: that your John may not
have died, but had separated from the family.

And remember, the James Cooley in TN with a household that looks a lot
like Martha Bearden's household is also a good match to have been a son of
Perrin's. This John and that James might have been brothers.

But, despite the fact we know from the early census records that Perrin
had a large family, I don't think a single one of them has been proven by
record. We also need to keep in mind that Perrin might have had a least
one more son who seems to have died early, for whom we've not been able to
attach a name. It's possible that he had one or two children.

Since this John lived into the 1860s, it might be possible to learn more
about him.

-Michael