Re: 1789 Land Grant of John Cooley, Stokes County, NC

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:44:49 -0700

For now, I'm taking the Sarah Matthews thing with a grain of salt. The
author of the source says she doesn't remember where she got it from. And
reading pages about the Matthews, I can find nothing that definitively
places Sarah as daughter of James. You might want to look at the genforum
group for Matthews before working too hard on it.

I'll write to Helen again to see if she can recall anything more:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/257/

-Michael

> Thank you, Michael! I'm glad to know where I can find them. I don't want
> to waste time (actually, my eyes) working on ones that are already done!
> am working on deciphering one in 1809 concerning James Matthews, deceased
> &
> his executors Tandy Matthews & Joseph Hollingsworth/Hollinsworth. I
> assume
> this would be a possible brother to Sarah Matthews. It really is
> difficult
> to decipher - so I may put out what I have and see if anyone can figure
> out
> the ?s that I have.
>
> Mary C

>>> beginning. As by the plat hereunto Annexed doth appear: Together with
>>> all
>>> Woods, Waters, Mines, Minerals, Headitaments, and appertenances, to the
>>> said
>>> land belonging, or appertaining to hold to the said JOHN COOLEY, his
>>> heirs
>>> and assigns forever. Yielding and paying to us such sums of money
>>> yearly
>>> or
>>> otherwise, as Our General Assembly from time to time may direct
>>> Provided
>>> always that the said JOHN COOLEY Shall Cause this Grant to be
>>> Registered
>>> in
>>> the Regesters Office of Our Said County of Stokes (late Surry) Within
>>> twelve
>>> Months from the date hereof, Otherwise the same shall be Void and of No
>>> Effect. In Testimony whereof, We have Caused these Our letters to be
>>> made
>>> patent, and One Grant seal to be hereunto affixed, Witness SAMUEL
>>> JOHNSTON
>>> esquire Our Governor Captain General and Commander in Chief at Edenton
>>> the
>>> 8th day of May in the Xiiith year of Our Independence and in the year
>>> of