1789 Land Grant of John Cooley, Stokes County, NC

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:49:31 -0700

I haven't seen this before on the list - hope it is new to you as well! I
just found this site yesterday - so I have only typed up one of the deeds or
grants that I found.

http://ncgenweb.us/nc/stokes/deedsland/
http://www.stokescorod.org/

Stokes County, North Carolina

Year: 1789
Grantee: Cooley, John
Grantors: State of North Carolina
Recorded: Book 1, Page 107 - 108
Kind of Instrument: Grant

"State of N Carolina, No. 1115.
To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting
Know ye that we for and in consideration of the sum of Ten pounds for every
hundred acres hereby granted, paid into our Treasury by JOHN COOLEY, have
given and granted and by these presents do give and Grant unto the said JOHN
COOLEY, a Tract of Land containing one hundred and fifty Acres lying and
being in Our County of Stokes, (late Surry) In the fork of Oldfield Creek,
Beginning on a white oak in JOHN COOLEYs line, turning North thence forty
six Chains and an half to a post, West fifteen Chains and an half to WILLIAM
WAGGONERs line, South thirty one and a half Chains to said WAGGONERs Corner,
West in said line forty four Chains to WILLIAM JAMES's Corner, South fifteen
Chains to a pine, East five Chains to a pine, then South two Chains to a
post then East fifty four and an half Chains to JOHN COOLEYs line-at the
beginning. As by the plat hereunto Annexed doth appear: Together with all
Woods, Waters, Mines, Minerals, Headitaments, and appertenances, to the said
land belonging, or appertaining to hold to the said JOHN COOLEY, his heirs
and assigns forever. Yielding and paying to us such sums of money yearly or
otherwise, as Our General Assembly from time to time may direct Provided
always that the said JOHN COOLEY Shall Cause this Grant to be Registered in
the Regesters Office of Our Said County of Stokes (late Surry) Within twelve
Months from the date hereof, Otherwise the same shall be Void and of No
Effect. In Testimony whereof, We have Caused these Our letters to be made
patent, and One Grant seal to be hereunto affixed, Witness SAMUEL JOHNSTON
esquire Our Governor Captain General and Commander in Chief at Edenton the
8th day of May in the Xiiith year of Our Independence and in the year of Our
Lord, One-Thousand Seven hundred and Eighty Nine.
By his Excelly's Comd.
/s/ Sam: Johnston
/s/ W. Williams D Sec."

I included the website where I found this and many more land deeds and
grants. I wish other websites would provide such wonderful information!!!

These are a few other deeds or grants that I found on this site:

1793
Grantee: Cooley, John
Grantors: State of NC
REcorded: Book 2, Page 29
Kind of Instrument: Grant

1795
Grantee: Cooly, Edward
Grantor: John Cooley -------Didn't find
REcorded: Book 2, Page 186
Kind of Instrument: Deed

1798
Grantee: Cooley, Edward
Grantor: Lewis Blume
Recorded: Book 3, Page 170
Kind of Instrument: Deed

1799
Grantee: Cooley, Edward
Grantor: James Love
Recorded: Book 3, Page 208
Instrument: Deed

1800
Grantee: Cooley, Edwood (this IS Edward)
Grantor: State of NC
Recorded: Book 3, Page 330
Instrument: Grant

1801
Grantee: Cooley, John
Grantor: State of NC
Recorded: Book 4, Page 252
Instrument: Grant

1804
Grantee: Cooley, Reuben
Grantor: Cooley, John
Recorded: Book 4, Page 447
Instrument: Deed

1804
Grantee: Cooley, James
Grantor: John Cooley
Recorded: Book 4, Page 447
Instrument: Deed

1805
Grantee: Cooley, James
Grantor: John Cooley Sr
Recorded: Book 4, Page 464
Instrument: Deed

1805
Grantee: Cooley, David
Grantor: Christian Lewis Benzien
Recorded: Book 4, Page 521
Instrument: Deed

1805
Grantee: Cooley, Edward
Grantor: State of NC
Recorded: Book 5, Page 148
Instrument: Grant

1807
Cooley, Edward
John Cooley
Book 5
Page 222
Deed

1809
Cooley, David
Abraham Hauser
Book 5
Page 253
Deed

1794
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantees: Phillip Transou
Book 2
Page 69
Deed 580

1795
Grantors: Cooly, John
Grantees: Edward Cooley
Book: 2
Page 286
Deed

1795
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantees: Solomon Turner
Book 2
Page 326
Deed

1797
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantee: Peter Fulp
Book 3
Page 124
Deed

1801
Grantors: Cooley, Edward
Grantee: Archibald Campbell
Book 3
Page 382
Deed

1801
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantee: John Read
Book 3
Page 405
Deed

1801
Grantors: Cooley, Edward
Grantee: Reuben Crews
Book 4
Page 275
Deed

1805
Grantors: Cooley, James
Grantee: John Reid
Book 5
Page 26
Deed

1806
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantee: William Goode
Book 5
Page 191
Deed

1807
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantee: Samuel Reed
Book 5
Page 194
Deed

1805
Grantors: Cooley, David
Grantee: Nathaniel Markland
Book 5
Page 212
Deed

1807
Grantors: Cooley, John
Grantee: Edward Cooley
Book 5
Page 222
Deed

1807
Grantors: Cooley, James
Grantee: Richard Sullivan
Book 5
Page 282
Deed

1809
Grantors: Cooley, Edward & Martha
Grantee: M E Church (Trs)
Book 5
Page 314
Deed

1811
Grantors: Cooley, Edward (& wife)
Grantee: Virlinda Boswell
Book 5, Page 355
Deed

1810
Grantors: Cooley, Edward
Grantee: Carlos Davis
Book 5, Page 359
Deed

1811
Grantors: Cooley, Edward (& wife)
Grantee: Martin Marshall
Book 5, page 416
Deed

1808
Grantors: Cooley, David
Grantee: Nathaniel Markland
Book 5
Page 419
Deed

1813
Grantors: Cooley, David
Grantee: Peter Smith Sr
Book 5
Page 461
Deed

1814
Grantors: Cooley, David
Grantee: John Stockberger
Book 5
Page 529
Deed

1815
Grantors: Cooley, et all, Edward (& wife)
Grantee: Stephen Ham
Book 5
Page 580
Deed

1815
Grantors: Cooley, David
Grantee: Daniel Hauser
Book 5
Page 631
Deed

1805
Grantors: Cooley, Reuben
Grantee: Isaac Dalton
Book 7
Page 416
Deed

1793
Matthews, James
Constantine Ladd (Shff)
Book 2
Page 6
Deed

1800
Matthews, James
Mary Hitchman, et al
Book 3
Page 347
Deed

1809
Matthews Et al, James (by Exr), Tandy (Exr)
Isaac Nelson (Shff)
Book 5
Page 315
Deed

1810
Matthews et al, James
Isaac Nelson (Shff)
Book 5
Page 316
Deed

There are many more Matthews deeds - a good number of then from/to Tandy
Matthews

Mary Cooley