Re: Tempey Cooley & Theodosia "Docia" & William Cunningham;

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:28:42 -0700

Jane, there was some discussion about this on the list a few months ago.

First, that James was the son of Joseph seems to be the older of the two
traditions. One of the Tallant letters that Dennis Young has scanned at
http://www.eskimo.com/~day/cooley/docs/index.htm indicates that James was
Joseph's son. (I'd have to dig to recall which one.)

The other evidence is the elder James's estate records. It's generally the
case that children were listed in the order of birth. That would make
James M born c1808--too young to have married Jane White. (Other family
group records have James born in 1808.) As far as I can tell, Dale was the
first to make the assertion that he was James's son. I think he was just
trying to put the pieces together with what info he had at the time. That
he often changed his mind, depending on what he had found, is evident in
his letters:
http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/PatWalker-letters.html

And we know that Joseph had six children with his first wife. James was
one of them, and was of the right age to have married Jane White.

What is evident is that there were two James and that one of then died
c1829 and four children:

..Nancy Cooley m Roberts
..Alzada Cooley m Roberts
..Demarcus Cooley, died young
..Henry Cooley, died young

Someone born in 1808 would likely not have accomplished that.

The other evident thing is that we don't know what happened to the other
James, whichever one he was. I think I've found him. But there's a hole in
the argument, one that will be difficult to clear up.

Keep in mind who John's James was: a gambler, a drinker, a horse track
owner, horse trader and possibly jockey. He was a slave owner and made an
unsuccessful bid to run for office. And it seems he had moved a lot before
finally settling in Missouri. His three eldest children were probably born
in NC. Isaac is believed to have been born in Ohio. We know that Tink was
born in KY. But what of James?

James's son, Mathias, left MO for Arkansas and ended up in Jack county TX.
Arriving there at about the same time was James Cooley born 1808/09 in PA.
But here's the clincher: this James's descendant has the same yDNA as the
Stokes county Cooleys. To sum up: he was the right age to have been James
M Cooley, he is found living near James's brother in far off Texas, and he
has the same Y chromosome.

This is one of the reasons I've had such a great interest in PA Cooley DNA
results. This James's birth place is consistent from one record to the
next. He was definitely born in PA. So, the question is, was his father
traveling and plying his trade, finally settling down when his children
were too old and too numerous to be packing around the country? If Isaac
was born in Ohio in 1805, it's very possible that James was in PA three
years later.

To date, four PA Cooley families have DNA-tested; none match, including
Francis Cooley who lived in PA just over the border from Columbiana
county, OH where James 1808 lived in the 1830s.

Because all Cooley families of the era have not tested, we cannot yet know
that anyone who matches John was a descendant of John's, but it's sure
pointing in that direction. There certainly was no relationship between
James of Columbiana and the closest Cooley family, Francis. That our James
passed through PA seems plausible but it may be next to impossible to
prove. All I can think of is newspaper items mentioning horse sales,
races, race results, etc. But also note that nothing has turned up to
place James in KY before 1810 and the birth of Tink. As I recall, he's not
even on the census for that year. I think the family may have gathered
there before the passing of John in 1811. (There's a gap for Edward in the
tax record in Stokes county for the period.)

Anyway, it all makes sense except for the PA birth part. Unfortunately,
the James 1808 family has been as difficult to trace as Matthias's family.
I think a lot of them went into the territories.

-Michael

> Thanks so much, Michael and Sandra for publishing these newsletters on this
> list. I did not know they even existed. I plan to print them and add
> our familly history. My husband, Don descends from James Cooley and
Jane
> White. We have believed James was the son of James Cooley but my ancestors
> were from James's brother Joseph. However, without proof we do not know
which was James Cooley's father. I would think that Tink Cooley would
have
> known if that is the source for Dale Walker's information. I suspect
this
> is also where the Cooley researchers in Macon County, Mo. have conclued
that
> James is the father of James.
> What a shame that in the 1970's my husband, Don managed the JC Penney store
> in the very same area where Dale Walker lived.in St. Louis. However,
we
> had never heard of him at that time. He would have lived within blocks
of
> the store and it is possible he could have been a customer. My
husband's
> aunt, Mae Vass obit is in the newsletter. She was a sister to Don's
mother
> and both a Cooley and White descendant. Michael, you are surely making
many
> easy trails for future Cooley researchers. Thank you so much. Michael,
also there are several Cooley researchers in Macon area and if you have
some
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:10 PM
> Subject: Re: Tempey Cooley & Theodosia "Docia" & William Cunningham;
>> Thanks for this, Mary. After years of searching I finally found Jim Terry
>> a few months ago. He said that he did his research a very long time ago
and was unable to answer any of my questions. He didn't seem much
interested in the newer information I could provide. My principal
concern
>> at the time was establishing the parentage of the James Cooley who married
>> Jane White. He states in his charts that James was Joseph's child
rather
>> than Jameses child, which is what a lot of people have today. I think
that's based on Dale Walker's placement. I have a reason to want to put
James with Joseph. :)
>> If I recall, Sandy Stanton has the Tempy thing straightened out. I
don't
>> recall quite what she wrote, though. Hopefully, she's monitoring the list.
>> :)
>> Are you aware that Sandy helped me put together Dale Walker's "Cooley
Cousins?" I've put it together at
>> http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/cooleycousinsnewsletter/ -- Now
that I know how to create and manipulate PDF files, I'll put together
an
>> all-in-one version. Sandy is missing some of the later editions. Would you
>> have any of them?
>> Have you heard from Tom Alexander lately? He contributed a few posts to
the earlier manifestation of the list.
>> -Michael
>>> I am confused as to the marriage record for Tempey Cooley:
>>> Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
>>> Name: Tempey Cooley
>>> Marriage Date: 4 Feb 1819
>>> Marriage County: Howard
>>> Spouse Name: William Cuningham
>>> Theodosia?????s Father James Cooley?????s will in ?1822/1824 lists
Docia &
>>> William
>>> Cunningham as heirs.
>>> Joseph Cooley had a daughter named Tempey Cooley ????? so I thought
the
>>> marriage
>>> for Tempey Cooley & William Cunningham was Joseph?????s
daughter...Does
>>> this
>>> above marriage mean that Theodosia ?????Docia????? was also called
?????Tempey?????? OR Did
>>> Docia & Tempey both marry William Cunningham???
>>> This information was in a file sent to me by Charles Cooley. Tom
>>> Alexander is the owner & researcher of the file - and he gave his
permission
>>> to share the file, "I would be glad for you to share the information
on
>>> our
>>> family with anyone who is interested."
>>> From the file:
>>> "The following is an article published in "Early Days in the West
Along
>>> the
>>> Missouri One Hundred Years Ago" by Judge Joseph Thorp. It was published
>>> in
>>> 1924 and I found it at the Mid Continent Public Library in Kansas
City,
>>> MO
>>> -
>>> Call Letter 977.8T 398:
>>> WEDDING UNDER A TREE
>>> We were not behind in matrimonial alliances and sometimes a little
>>> romance
>>> connected with them. A daughter of Joseph Cooley and a Mr. White engaged
>>> blend their two lives in one, and they called on Elder Thorp to celebrate
>>> the nuptial bonds, and my recollection is that it was very agreeable
>>> their friends. They concluded to make a big thing of it, and gave
general
>>> invitation; no house being sufficient to hold the guests, they
repaired
>>> the shade of a large white oak tree not far from Fort Cooper, and
there
>>> the
>>> marriage ceremony was performed, and the two pronounced one. She is
still
>>> living and is with one of her granddaughters in Buchanan or Platte County
>>> as
>>> I informed.
>>> Her sister married Peter Wrightsman, late of our county (Clay).
The
>>> famous Dr. Cooley of Kansas City is a brother's son. Cooley's Lake is
familiar to everybody in Clay; it took its name from the family. So
much
>>> for one wedding."
>>> [note from me, Mary Cooley: I found Peter Wrightsman, who is
>>> buried in Mount Zion Cemetery in Mosby, Clay Co., MO:
>>> Name: P. Wrightsman
>>> Death Date: 01 Sep 1866
>>> Age: about 69 years old
>>> Clay County, Missouri Cemetery Records, Volume II
>>> Mount Zion Graveyard
>>> ...but when I go to Find A Grave this is the information found there:
Peter Writesman
>>> Birth: 1799; North Carolina, USA
>>> Death: Sep. 1, 1866; Fishing River Township, Ray County, Missouri,
USA
>>> Spouse: Mary Writesman (____-1866)
>>> Children:
>>> Thomas H. Writesman (1828 - 1899)
>>> Nancy Ann Writesman Levi (1829 - 1915)
>>> Amanda Jane Writesman Field (1832 - 1879)
>>> Information under daughter Nancy Ann Writesman is this:
>>> Nancy Ann "Masy" Writesman Levi
>>> Birth: Apr. 24, 1829; Clay County, Missouri, USA
>>> Death: Sep. 10, 1915; Clay County, Missouri, USA
>>> Nancy was the daughter of Peter and MARY POLY OFFICER Writesman - buried
>>> next to her husband James W. Levi.
>>> {another discrepancy of the Judge Joseph Thorp's account: Dr. Cooley of
>>> Kansas City was a half-brother to Elizabeth Cooley White.]
>>> BACK to the information provided by Tom Alexander:
>>> "The following is an article titled Elizabeth Cooley White by Jim Terry.
>>> As
>>> far as I know it was not published and I don't know who Jim Terry is.
This
>>> unpublished manuscript was given to me by Ron Jones of Grants Pass,
Oregon
>>> who is a direct descendant of Joseph Cooley who married Keziah Cooley and
>>> then from Christopher Columbus Cooley, a brother of Elizabeth Cooley
White:
>>> Elizabeth Cooley was born in or about 1794 on Oldfield Creek in
>>> Stokes
>>> County, North Carolina. She was the third of six children born to her
mother (name unknown) and had three sisters and two brothers: Mary
(about
>>> 1791), John (Oct 8, 1793), James (about 1796), Hannah (about 1799) and
another sister (Name unknown about 1801). Her father Joseph Cooley,
was
>>> simple farmer not possessed of much worldly wealth.
>>> Elizabeth and her sisters learned domestic tasks in the home while
>>> their
>>> brothers learned about planting, harvesting and the care of livestock
from
>>> their father. The girls mastered the techniques of the clank-timbered
loom;
>>> learned to 'swingle' flax; card wool and spin as well as mending. There
>>> were lessons in butter, soap and sugar making; cooking on an open
fireplace
>>> and baking in an out door oven. Molding candles and casting bullets were
>>> also just a few of things Elizabeth was probably taught in her youth.
>>> At an early age, Elizabeth was taken by her parents to Goose Creek
>>> in
>>> Green County, Kentucky -- about 1799 -- and they remained in the Blue
Grass
>>> state. 'In my 11th year, death visited our family and claimed my mother
>>> for
>>> its victim, leaving six children, I being the third child,' she
reminisced.
>>> 'Notwithstanding, I summed up sufficient courage to take charge of the
children which were younger than myself. I had to fill the place of
both
>>> mother and a sister. I spun and made clothes for them and tried, in
my
>>> childish way, to teach them the ways of Truth and Life.'
>>> Elizabeth's mother had died about 1805, but on Feb. 10, 1807, her
>>> father,
>>> Joseph Cooley, remarried Keziah Casey in Lincoln County, KY. An
infant
>>> half-sister, Evaline Cooley was born on December 7, 1807, followed by
>>> baby
>>> half-brother, Christopher Columbus Cooley, on August 6, 1809.
>>> Then in the spring of 1811, when Elizabeth was 17 years old, the
>>> Cooley
>>> family made the arduous trek from Kentucky to the vast Louisiana
Territory
>>> and settled temporarily on Loutre Island on the Missouri River in what is
>>> now Montgomery County, Missouri. But the real threat of Indian
attacks
>>> made
>>> a move to a more defensible area imperative. The Cooley's and other
families on the edge of the frontier wilderness soon moved upriver to
Boone's Lick Country, where Daniel Boone and his sons manufactured
salt.
>>> 'Elizabeth recounted, 'My father's wagon was the first that ever
>>> marked
>>> the road. We had to cut our road and make our own bridges.' When the
Cooley's reached Boone's Lick, their first tasks were to plant corn
and
>>> build a cabin. Elizabeth added, 'We lived without bread from October
(1811)
>>> until corn would grist.'
>>> The pioneer's claim to the land was tenuous, since Boone's Lick
>>> Country
>>> was still inhabited by Indians and settlement was not yet sanctioned
by
>>> the
>>> government -- Missouri, had not yet been organized as a territory. In
the
>>> spring of 1812, raids by the Sauk and Fox tribes left several settlers
dead
>>> and the Cooley's abandoned their homestead for safety. 'We lived in
peace
>>> one year,' said Elizabeth, 'then we had to fort for protection.'
>>> The Cooley's took refuge at Fort Hempstead. Elizabeth explained,
>>> 'We
>>> forted {off and on} four years {during the War of 1812}, then peace
was
>>> made...Daniel Boone was the head commander of our fort. He and his
two
>>> sons
>>> were the first males that were ever in the state of Missouri. He was
here
>>> two years before I came to the state.' This was a real "stretcher" -- in
>>> actuality Ben Cooper was the fort's commander. However, the young Kit
Carson (Boone's grandson), did reside in the stockade with the
Cooley's.
>>> (Daniel Boone was some 80 years old at the time and lived near St.
Charles.)
>>> It was during the war that two additional children were added to
the
>>> Joseph Cooley family: Cassandra (born about 1812) and Harrison (born
about
>>> 1814). Something else was astir also: Elizabeth was courted by William
>>> White, a handsome young man with light hair, steel gray eyes and lean six
>>> foot frame. The records of St. Charles, Missouri, show that William and
>>> Elizabeth were married on July 3, 1813, by the Reverend David McLain, the
>>> Baptist preacher at the fort. The wedding festivities evidently carried
>>> over into the next day.
>>> Elizabeth remembered, 'I was married under a large oak tree on the
>>> Fourth
>>> of July at the first picnic ever held in Missouri to William White. I
cooked my own wedding dinner; my bread was beat in a mortar; my meats
were
>>> wild meats of all kinds.' She also recounted, 'My wedding suit was
not
>>> as
>>> some might think -- it was not homespun, neither was it a pin-back. But
>>> it
>>> was cut to suit the times...There were no pin-backs worn by our
mothers
>>> them
>>> days. The people in the fort had no room for such pin-backs.' If
true
>>> the time, a raucous 'shivaree' followed at night.
>>> In August, 1813, William and Elizabeth preempted 160 acres on
>>> Sulpher
>>> Creek adjoining Joseph Cooley's farm. 'In settling the new counties
{Missouri was now an official territory}, all that were large enough
>>> hold
>>> a line had to help build houses and clear,' Elizabeth said. 'I have spun
>>> thread out of nettles all day, then piled burn brush until midnight. If
>>> anyone thinks I haven't done enough for my country, well, tell them what
>>> I've done.'
>>> Elizabeth raised a large family. Boasting, she said, 'We raised 11
>>> children all to be grown. They are all alive but three.' Her
children
>>> born
>>> in Howard County included: Nancy (1816), Mary Ann, called Polly (1818),
>>> Harvey (1820) and Tempy (1822). About 1825, Elizabeth and William
resettled
>>> in Clay County, Missouri, along with the Joseph Cooley family, and
took
>>> farm in Fishing River Township near Cooley Lake (subsequently drained for
>>> additional farmland). Here the remainder of Elizabeth's children were
born:
>>> Margaret (about 1825), Elizabeth (1830), Susan (1832), William (1836) and
>>> John (1838).
>>> 'We lived 12 years in Howard County', Elizabeth added, 'then moved
>>> Clay County, then to Andrew County, then back to Clinton County, which is
>>> now my home {1878}. When Platte County was settled, my oldest
daughter
>>> and
>>> I were the first white females that were ever in that county.' Her
father,
>>> Joseph Cooley, died April 3, 1826.
>>> In his declining years, William White eventually needed constant
>>> care
>>> and
>>> attention due to failing mental faculties -- possibly Alzheimer's. This
>>> once dynamic and active man could barely feed himself. He applied to the
>>> government for a military pension, but the information he provided was
confused and in error. The government turned him down. He died
January
>>> 12,
>>> 1875 in Stewartsville, Missouri, leaving Elizabeth a widow.
>>> Speaking to the editor of the Liberty Tribune in August 1878,
>>> Elizabeth
>>> closed her story, 'I am now in my 88th year. My husband and I lived
together for 64 years. He was then taken from me. We raised 11
children.
>>> Is there anyone of this day that can say they have seen two of their
fourth
>>> generation? I have of mine: children, grandchildren, and great
grandchildren, and great great grandchildren are now in number, 146.'
I will look through Ron Jones information that I have and see if I can
discover who Jim Terry is/was. It is very possible that I don't have
that
>>> part of Ron's research.
>>> I hope this makes some sense...I am half asleep!!!
>>> Good night all!
>>> Mary Cooley
>>> --
information.