Re: John Cooley & "The King's Passengers to Maryland and Virginia" by Peter Wilson Coldham

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 18:19:02 -0700

Hi Mary Lou,

Sandy and I discussed this several years ago. There may have been some
discussion on the first version of the list. I have a lot of the data on
the website at
http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/

Middlesex county at the time was effectively London, but its history looks
a bit more complex than that. My best guess has long been that he might
have been the John Cooley who was transported on The Tryal in 1753:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/tryal.html

But it is just a guess. Port Royal in Caroline county VA was a busy port
at the time. Ships would have passed by it going up the Rappahannock River
to Frederickburg. That John was in Caroline county in 1755 is of interest.
Of course, he could have arrived there from virtually anywhere.

-Michael