Re: John Cooley & "The King's Passengers to Maryland and Virginia"

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 18:45:18 -0700

BTW, I haven't look at this stuff in a long time. I've been concentrating
on the DNA thinking that perhaps one of the other Cooley families of the
region, who cannot be connected in the record with John, might match. That
hasn't happened and, personally, I think it may not happen. But I've run
out of other ideas for connecting him to another family or to England.
Agents in the colonies were contracted to sell the slaves and indentured
servants who arrived at port, but I don't know if any such records still
exist. The few emails I've sent regarding that haven't been answered. Port
arrivals would be of interest too. For example, is there record of the
Tryal having stopped at Port Royal? There probably is something for
Fredericksburg--announcements in the papers, for example, but I've found
little.

And I've often wondered if there was a connection between John and Richard
Goode other than friendship--an in-law relationship perhaps. Richard was
of the planter class. Did John work for the family? Richard's father died
young and left no will. Little about his immediate family is known.

Either there are some dusty, unexamined records in an archive somewhere or
we're left only with DNA. I fear for the latter. :( Indeed, there may have
been plenty of records at one time, but huge amounts were destroyed during
the Civil War. In any case, I'd love to start up the discussion again.

-Michael