Re: Tax List 1775, Surry County, NC lists John & son James Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 17:09:24 -0700

Mary,

I agree. If he was older than Eli, 1818 makes sense.

Considering that he is shown consistently younger on the census records
and, apparently, that he reported to the writer of the biography that he
was born in 1823, it may be that he simply lied about his age all of his
life, but felt reluctant to do so to the federal government.

I'm changing what I have too.

In regards to Ancestry.com, I don't use it for a lot of reasons, including
the cost and that their software will "guess" who your ancestors are. The
latter has caused a lot of trouble.