Benjamin Cooley / Coley of Stokes county

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:10:00 -0700

Most of us have wondered whether the Benjamin Cooley on the Stokes county
1820 census was of our Cooley clan. There had been speculation that
Benjamin was another name for Cornelius. Although proof is needed, I think
Cornelius has been successfully tracked as having gone to Kentucky with
his family and then, probably in 1811, joined William Matthews Cooley in
Stewart county TN. This is probably the same Cornelius who died in New
Orleans in 1815.

I've exchanged several email with Karisa Troutman, a descendant of
Benjamin's. The family has used Coley instead of Cooley, which is probably
why he fell off our radar. I've created a page in hopes of tracking
possible yDNA candidates:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/lineages/benjamin-desc.html

More news in a bit.

-Michael