[Fwd: Re: Cooley ¤amily]

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 17:44:10 -0800

Subject: Re: Cooley ¤amily
From: "Michael Cooley"
Date: Thu, March 8, 2012 5:43 pm
To: "rubyslippers"

Hi Sharon,

Okay, I'm following your thread now. I didn't pick up on the idea that
Coode was Goode. I don't recall having seen the name Branson before. It'll
take a bit to digest your information.

Here's a page from my website showing connections between various Caroline
county families that went to Surry/Stokes county:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/caroline2townfork.html

You could be right that the Thomas Cooley of Cornwall is of the same
family (I hope so!) but there were two or more generations separating him
from John. There are still a lot of dots to connect.

In addition to Branson, are you also a Cooley descendant? Can you provide
the particulars of the descent? I forwarded your first email to the John
Cooley Mailing List, as I will this one. Would you like to be put on the
list?

I'd like to know more about the Cooley researcher you contacted in England.

Thanks,
Michael

> I watched the same families interconnecting, intermarrying, migrating
togther for possibly more than 200 years.
> I do think the Thomas Cooley in St. Mary's with the Loving Friend John
Coode (often written Goode) are members of the same family that end up
in
> Stokes.
> This says Thomas Goode was in Essex and went to Surry.
> http://genforum.genealogy.com/goode/messages/1765.html
> I know my Bransons went from St Maries/Charles Co and went to Essex then
to Stokes. I know you have the Cooley etal in Caroline Co....which was
adj to Essex and King and Queen where my Bransons were but I bet if they
were in the next county they lived on the border....just as they did in
Pittsylvania/Patrick and Stokes.
> I don't think it's coincidence that my Bransons were involved in the
same
> lawsuit, that Martha Ham's ?grandson? was picked as witness to the
Branson
> will, that Mordecai Ham her son lived a few doors away. I think they
were related all the way back to Maryland or who knows maybe Cornwall.
On Mar 8, 2012, at 2:44 PM, Michael Cooley wrote:
>> Hi Sharon,
>> Which Cooley family are you descended from?
>> I'm pretty sure that John was in Virginia before going into NC. So far,
I've not been able to connect him to any of the Maryland families. What
do
>> you propose connects him to them?
>> Thanks. There's a lot of good information here.
>> -Michael
>>> Well I started by finding this will for Thomas Cooley....so excited we
finally found the first Cooley of the line. Only to discover no
children.
>>> However, we do know the names of his brothers back in Cornwall. I have
>>> taken a shot at writing to an English Cooley researcher - fingers
crossed.
>>> Meanwhile I tried to find other Cooleys in Maryland and accumulated
all
>>> the stuff below. Hope it isn't totally confusing ...as I picked up bread
>>> crumbs I just kind of put them in the email for you!
>>> Who I am....I am a over 20 year researcher of the family Branson. In
Town
>>> Fork Settlement John Branson's land is adj to Richard Hains, James Moore,
>>> Isaac Garrison
>>> When Zachariah Branson died in 1784 he made George Fulp "son of Betsy
Fulp" co-executor with his son Joab. It would be highly unlikely for
Zachariah to do this if he was not blood related to George/Betsy or a
strong family tie. George being the son of Peter Fulp and Elizabeth
Raper
>>> (probably known as Betsy) and his grandma Martha Ham.
>>> Wed 5 Sept. 1793 court case # 15, James Martin VS John Branson and
John
>>> Cooley
>>> Court of Common Pleas Sat 6 Dec 1794 John Branson jury duty.
>>> Case Peter Fulp VS John Cooley. old tape out to the side it was
erased
>>> and penciled in "Ann Branson acct for keep 140 miles and 11 days".
This
>>> was added as if they had run out of space and needed to make another
entry. I think somewhere I have a record where both John and Ann was
testifying.
>>> Mordecai Ham lives just a few doors from the Bransons in the 1800's.
John Branson, Jr named his first son Ambrose - like Ambrose
>>> Blackburn???
>>> this is not a first name that runs or remained in the family.
>>> So....I have no idea where or how the Bransons are related - whether
it
>>> is
>>> Cooley or Ham or what. or maybe it's Fountain??
>>> I can tell you that the Branson immigrant in 1651 came from England to St
>>> Mary's and Charles Counties, Maryland. Several key family members
died
>>> around 1770/1775 and you find various parts of the family move to
Westmoreland Co, Essex/King & Queen, Montgomery and Washington and
Pittsylvania Cos in Virginia and Surry which became Stokes in NC.
Sure hope we can find that missing link
>>> Sharon
>>> Here is what I have accumulated so far......
>>> Will begins....I, Thomas Cooly of the County of Cornwall in the Kingdom
>>> of England in part now resident in the county of Saint Marys in the
Province of Maryland
>>> To: Mother, Father, Aunt Jane Prade,
>>> Bro: Wm Coolye
>>> sis: Jane, Katherine, ?How?, Ann, Jane Groger, How Pridawe
>>> Henry King his employer or to oversee his employees?
>>> Kinsman: Wm Robert Quarme or Duarme and his wife Judith
>>> Waltor Quar... kinswoman How Quarmo
>>> friend Charles Borcawan Esq
>>> everything went to Bro Peter Coolye who was executor
>>> my loving friend Jn COODE of county of St Mary to oversee the will
written July 1, 1676
>>> Witness - John Furkings or Turkings or Jurkings
>>> Wm West - who proved will July 19 1676
>>> Henry Kings
>>> (I just noticed that a Henry King moved to Town Fork Settlement in 1783.)
>>> Appraisal done by Justinian Gerrard and William Watts at Mr. Nehemiah
Blackiston's house William Rosewell swore
>>> There are several records in the Maryland court files about Nehemiah
Blackiston suing Thomas Cooley after he died and eventually the
defendant
>>> changed to Peter Cooley as executor and mention he was not found. It was
>>> believed he was in England. I can't find anything more on Cooley in
SM
>>> or
>>> Charles county.
>>> John Coode came from Cornwall also and led the rebellion that
overthrew
>>> the government in 1689. He married Susannah Gerrard daughter of
Thomas
>>> Gerrard. She was previously married to Robert Slye.
>>> In the Provincial Court records of 1670-75 Vol 65, Preface 35 George
Cooley gave bond to John Ingram to bring him 2 servants and didn't
deliver. He is referred to as "late of Talbot County" and his attorney
is
>>> Vincent Lowe (a related family). At Lowe's appearance John requested the
>>> Sheriff of St Mary's require to bring Cooley to Talbot. Cooley didn't
show
>>> and lost by default judgment.
>>> Talbot June 1731 pp.428-9, Lord Proprietary agt. Ann Hopkins did
commit
>>> fornication with a certain Negro Man ... saith she is not thereof guilty
>>> ... Jury ... she is guilty ... serve seven years ... commence after
her
>>> term of servitude to George Coley. Court sells Thomas Hopkins the
mullatto
>>> bastard child of Anne Hopkins to George Cooley til thirty one. Ann
Hopkins child Thomas led me to the record of George's death - Talbot
>>> County estate of George Cooley on 23 April 1732 [Prerogative
>>> Inventories &
>>> Accounts 1732-1734, 72-4
>>> George's will:
>>> 1. Peter Haddenony - horse, saddle, etc
>>> 2. Rowland Haddmony - colt saddle
>>> 3. Elenor Locozy - remainder of estate after wife gets her 1/3 4.
Mulatto Tom to serve till 24
>>> 5. appoint Robert Locony Jr sole executor
>>> 11/29/1732 written
>>> Wit: John Ecklees (Ackles) and Francis Cocke (Cook)
>>> Proved Jan 17, 1732
>>> Since the death was 60+ years after the lawsuit where a George was in
Talbot then SM he probably is a relative of the first George.
>>> Anne Arundel, MD:
>>> John Cooley 14.130 A AA ú58.0.6 ú78.14.0 May 25 1697
>>> Payments to: Thomas Dawson, Alexander Gardiner, for keeping Edward
Cooley (boy), for keeping Alice Cooley (girl), for coffin for Francis
Cooley (girl), Frank Cooley, Ralph Bazill, Richard Bayly, Thomas
Beason, James Floyd for keeping Frank Cooley, Mr. Davis, John Davis,
Richard Kilburne.
>>> Mentions: John Cooley (orphan). 2 orphans.
>>> Administrator: William Clarke.
>>> John Cooley 14.129 I ú58.0.6 Dec 24 1695
>>> Appraisers: Francis Moyd, William Penington.
>>> 1777 Wm Cooley of AA married Ann Harwood
>>> Prince George Co is adj the counties the family in Stokes Co lived in
an example: Thomas Earle of PG, MD married Willimina Slye of Charles
Co,
>>> MD on 1/1/1784 in PG. Since the Slye were part of the "family" Jane
is
>>> most likely part of a Cooley I'm chasing.
>>> found this inquiry:
>>> Am searching for parents of Thomas SHERLOCK , born about 1805, married to
>>> Catherine Jane EARLY, daughter of Benjamin EARLY and his wife Jane
COOLEY.
>>> Thomas was mentioned in his mother-in-law Jane Early's will which was
filed in 1823.
>>> Their children Catherine Jane and Benoni
>>> Jane Cooley 1/27/1789 PG married Benjamin Earley
>>> Other PG Cooley marriages Edward 1834, Benjamin 1816
>>> .Post - Jacob Cooley born Virginia, married Sarah (Jordan), died
Greenville Co,
>>> SC. Jacob died circa 1816, Greenville Co, SC. The only Cooley family
in
>>> the Virgiania census of 1785 was Jacob Cooley in Pittsylvania County. He
>>> is
>>> enumerated with 7 persons in his household. The abstracts of Henry
County,
>>> VA Deed Books 1 and 2 page 506 show the following concerning Jacob,
"dated
>>> October 3, 1788; Jereard Burch of Henry County to Jacob Couly of the
same,
>>> for 16 pounds, 10 shillings sells 50 acres of land. Signed Jerard Burch,
>>> witnesses; Achillis Ballinger, Joseph Gravely, George Phillips. Proved
April
>>> 27 1789." Other Cooley references in Henry County include James Cooley
and