[Fwd: Re: Branson and Town Fork Settlement and Goode etc]

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:58:48 -0800

Subject: Re: Branson and Town Fork Settlement and Goode etc
From: "Michael Cooley"
Date: Sat, March 10, 2012 11:55 am
To: "Elgivia Lisle"
Cc: "rubyslippers"

Hi Elgivia,

My John Cooley of Stokes county had son John who had son Thomas Hutchins
Cooley. There's this will that pulls in the Hutchinses, Goodes, and
Cooleys. Major Gray was the father-in-law of William Cooley.

--quote--
Will of John Good, Lincoln county KY, will book C page 23, dated 6 Apr
1800, recorded 8 Jul 1800. Names wife Junny Good, son Timothy Good,
daughters Nancy and Ellender Good, father Thomas Good. Executors are Maj
Joseph Gray of Washington co KY, Thomas Hutchins and Jinny Good. Witnesses
are William Cooley, Joseph Ayre and John Cooley. Thomas Good was the uncle
of Major Richard Goode of Stokes county, NC. As young men, Richard Goode
and John Cooley (also later of Stokes county) enlisted into the Virginia
Regiment, 1755, at Caroline county VA.
--endquote--

Thomas Hutchins Cooley (c1820-1879) married Letitia Anderson. Their son
George T Cooley (1848-1931) married Elizabeth R Hutchins.

John Cooley of Stokes county had several sons. Here are their movements as
best as I can make out. John himself went to KY c1805/6. Edward Cooley is
my line.

1. William Matthews Cooley (c1759-1823) m Anna Gray, 1780s->KY, c1805->TN
2. John Cooley (1761-1844) m Sarah Willis, 1790s->KY
3. Edward Cooley (1763-1822) m Martha Raper, 1811->IN
4. Daniel Cooley (1765-1826) m Mildred Ball m2 Elizabeth Grundy,
1790s->KY, 1820s->MO
5. Joseph Cooley (1767-1826) m1 unk m2 Kaziah Casey, 1790s->KY, 1811->MO
6. Perrin Cooley Sr (1769-1840 MO) m Sarah, c1806->KY, 1811->MO
7. James Cooley (1772-1821) m Elizabeth, c1806->KY, 1811->MO
8. Rice Cooley (1776-c1800)
9. Reuben Cooley (1779-1859) m1 Mary Harris m2 Elizabeth Followell, c1806->KY
10. Cornelius Cooley (1781-1815) poss m Lucinda Cherry, prob c1806->KY,
c1812->TN

Do you have approximate dates for you Rebecca (Hutchins) Cooley? Would she
have been born, for instance, before or after 1800?

I'm forwarding this to the John Cooley Mailing List. Let me know if you'd
like to subscribe to it.

-Michael

> My Rebecca Hutchins who married an unknown Cooley was the daughter of John
> Hutchins and Sybella Angel Hutchins . She was born Stokes Co NC date
> unknown
> and married Cooley date unknown.
> I identified her through a letter she wrote from Bloomington, Macon
> County,
> MO 17 Feb 1848 to the County Clerk in Stokes Co. She stated she
> understood
> her father John Hutchins was long since deceased (1840)
> and she had never received anything from his estate. She inquired about
> that and stated she had been a widow 15 years and needed the money. She
> signed it
> Rebecca Cooley/
> The file did not contain a reply from the Clerk but her father disposed of
> his estate in the early 1830's and did not leave a will.
> Macon Co Mo was formed in 1837 from Randolph Co so I assume her husband
> may
> have died there.
>
> I have information on the Cooley's after they were in Stokes and some of
> the
> family after they left Stokes.
> Some went to Mo.Ky, IN. I don't know if this information would help you.
> Where did your Cooley's migrate to?
> Elgivia

>>> 1700 married Catherine Jennings. Their daughter Elizabeth Goad born
>>> July