Re: Sarah Matthews m Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:19:22 -0800

I've provisionally added Sarah Matthews to my database so that I can keep
track of the information. It's here:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/257/

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I'm sure I'm not alone by saying
that I ate too much!

-Michael

> I was just doing some random searching and came across this interesting
> little site
>
> http://lucysfamilytree.com/james.cfm?aId=12582508-C29B-57E0-81553F57FF8DDE15
>
> A bit of Rowan/Surry/Stokes history, with a lot of abstracts as they
> relate to the James family,
> including several mentions of John and Edward Cooley. So far I haven't
> found any Matthews, but
> there are Doaks and Hannahs and other names that might catch your eye.
> Or at least something
> to bookmark for later investigation.
>
> Jim
>
> On 11/23/2011 3:56 PM, Michael Cooley wrote:
>> As Helen says below, she got the information from a book called "Maury
>> County Cousins." ...
>>
>> Maury County cousins
>> Bible and family records.
>> Compiled by Maury County, Tennessee Historical Society.
>> Published 1967 in [Columbia?]
>>
>> I've just requested a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
>>
>> Obviously, somebody made a connection between our William Matthews
>> Cooley
>> and the Rowan/Surry county Matthews. But it may have been no more than
>> "Oh, here's someone with the middle name of Matthews. He must be one of
>> ours!" That the book says only that his father was either Abraham or Jno
>> Cooley indicates they were probably just looking at Jo White Linn's
>> Surry
>> county compilations and making a guess. But the question is how they
>> connected to WMC to Sarah. -Any- public record mentioning a Sarah Cooley
>> in Surry county could be telling. (We do know that Abraham was married
>> Sarah Reeder.)
>>
>> Apparently, James Matthews Sr left a deed in Guilford county NC giving
>> away his Rowan county land. To whom, one wonders. That would be worth
>> checking out.
>>
>> There's also the point the Steve Matthews says he has autosomal DNA
>> matches to Cooleys. I hope to hear something more from him about that.
>>
>> I'll let everyone know what I find. If anyone has further suggestions,
>> I'd
>> be interested.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>>
>>> ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01CCAA01.E73CEA40
>>>
>>> Is there confirmation that Sarah Matthews Cooley is the mother of =
>>> William Matthews Cooley? That is more than we had but how certain is =
>>> that? The middle name of William is surely something to go on.
>>> Jane
>>> ----- Original Message -----=20

>>> others. We are probably all descendants of John Cooley of Stokes =
>>> county
>>> NC.
>>>
>>> Steven tells me that you have a book that says WMC's mother was
>>> Sarah
>>> Matthews. I'm very interested in knowing what the source of that
>>> information is. A bad genealogy was written in the 1930s led us all
>>> astray, but DNA in the last few years have proven that wrong.
>>>
>>> My page for WMC is at
>>> http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/StewartCoTN.html
>>>
>>> The website for John, his probable father, is at
>>> http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/ . Abraham's family is
>>> pretty =
>>> much
>>> worked out. We've never been able to find anything that associates
>>> it =
>>> with
>>> the John Cooley family.
>>>
>>> If this pans out, you will have many hundreds of names to read into
>>> =
>>> your
>>> GEDCOM!
>>>
>>> I can't wait to hear from you!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Michael
>>> ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01CCAA01.E73CEA40
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>>> <HTML><HEAD>
>>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
>>> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
>>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.17104" name=3DGENERATOR>
>>> <STYLE></STYLE>
>>> </HEAD>
>>> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
>>> <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there confirmation that =
>>> Sarah Matthews=20
>>> Cooley is the mother of William Matthews Cooley?&nbsp; That is more
>>> than =
>>> we had=20
>>> but how certain is that?&nbsp; The middle name of William is surely =
>>> something to=20
>>> go on.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
>>> <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jane</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
>>> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
>>> style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
>>> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
>>> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV>
>>> <DIV=20
>>> style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
>>> black"><B>From:</B>=20
>>> <A title=3Dmichael_at_newsummer.com =
>>> href=3D"mailto:michael_at_newsummer.com">Michael=20
>>> Cooley</A> </DIV>
>>> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A=20
>>> title=3Dundisclosed.recipients_at_johncooley.net=20
>>> href=3D"mailto:undisclosed.recipients_at_johncooley.net">John Cooley =
>>> Mailing=20
>>> List</A> </DIV>
>>> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, November
>>> 23, =
>>> 2011 3:34=20
> [...]
>>> Cooley<BR>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "LadyH"&lt;<A=20
>>> =
>>> href=3D"mailto:heyladyh_at_yahoo.com">heyladyh_at_yahoo.com</A>&gt;<BR>Date:&nb=
>>> sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
>>> Wed, November 23, 2011 11:47 am<BR>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
>>> =
>>> "Michael=20
>>> Cooley"&lt;<A=20
>>> =
>>> href=3D"mailto:michael_at_newsummer.com">michael_at_newsummer.com</A>&gt;<BR>--=
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------<=
>>> believe that I picked up the name of Sarah Matthews COOLEY and
>>> her=20
>>> son<BR>William Matthews COOLEY in the book Maury County Cousins.
>>> Since =
>>>
>>> my<BR>search was centered on the male descendants of James MATTHEWS,
>>> =
>>> Sr.=20
>>> and<BR>John DOAK, I did not further pursue the surname =
>>> COOLEY.<BR><BR>My info=20
>>> says this: p. 190<BR>"The following names often associated with
>>> James =
>>> (Sr) and=20
>>> Mary MATTHEWS<BR>possibly were their children, but verification has
>>> =
>>> not yet=20
>>> been found:<BR>Sarah Matthews, who married a COOLEY, and had a son =
>>> William=20
>>> Matthews<BR>COOLEY - - -<BR>* Mussendine Matthews, Rev. War soldier,
>>> =
>>> who died=20
>>> in Iredell County in<BR>1830 - - -<BR>and Robert Matthews, who died
>>> in =
>>> Iredell=20
>>> County ca 1819 - - - -"<BR><BR>NB: Later evidence suggests that this
>>> * =
>>>
>>> Mussendine Matthews was not a son<BR>of James Sr.<BR><BR>As you
>>> have=20
>>> discovered, many of the biographical books pertaining to early<BR>TN
>>> =
>>> and NC=20
>>> families are far from accurate. When I was working in Salt =
>>> Lake<BR>City FHC, I=20
>>> set out to read all the books pertaining to the
>>> Matthews<BR>surname,=20
>>> especially in Maury Co., TN. I found contradictions galore.<BR>Legal
>>> =
>>> records=20
>>> were the best means of delineating the families.<BR><BR>I am sorry =
>>> that I=20
>>> cannot verify the name of the Cooley man to whom Sarah<BR>Matthews
>>> was =
>>>
>>> married.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>Helen Odum =
>>> Harrell<BR><BR><BR><BR>Then I=20
>>> listed the several works in chronological order, and was amazed =
>>> to<BR>learn=20
>>> that many of the authors either gave no documentation, or =
>>> simply<BR>cited=20
>>> another of the books, and some of the more recent compilers =
>>> Cooley&lt;michael_at_newsummer.com&gt;<BR>To: =
>>> heyladyh_at_yahoo.com<BR>Sent:=20
>>> Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:34 AM<BR>Subject: Sarah Matthews m=20
>>> Cooley<BR><BR>Hi Helen!<BR><BR>I received your email address from =
>>> Steve=20
>>> Matthews.<BR><BR>A descendant of William Matthews Cooley has =
>>> yDNA-matched to=20
>>> me and nine<BR>others. We are probably all descendants of John
>>> Cooley =
>>> of=20
>>> Stokes county<BR>NC.<BR><BR>Steven tells me that you have a book
>>> that =
>>> says=20
>>> WMC's mother was Sarah<BR>Matthews. I'm very interested in knowing =
>>> what the=20
>>> source of that<BR>information is. A bad genealogy was written in the
>>> =
>>> 1930s led=20
>>> us all<BR>astray, but DNA in the last few years have proven that=20
>>> wrong.<BR><BR>My page for WMC is=20
>>> =
>>> at<BR>http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/StewartCoTN.html<BR><BR>The=
>>> =20
>>> website for John, his probable father, is=20
>>> at<BR>http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/ . Abraham's family is
>>> =
>>> pretty=20
>>> much<BR>worked out. We've never been able to find anything that =
>>> associates it=20
>>> with<BR>the John Cooley family.<BR><BR>If this pans out, you will
>>> have =
>>> many=20
>>> hundreds of names to read into your<BR>GEDCOM!<BR><BR>I can't wait
>>> to =
>>> hear=20