Re: Re: Sarah Matthews m Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:56:18 -0800

As Helen says below, she got the information from a book called "Maury
County Cousins." ...

Maury County cousins
Bible and family records.
Compiled by Maury County, Tennessee Historical Society.
Published 1967 in [Columbia?]

I've just requested a copy through Interlibrary Loan.

Obviously, somebody made a connection between our William Matthews Cooley
and the Rowan/Surry county Matthews. But it may have been no more than
"Oh, here's someone with the middle name of Matthews. He must be one of
ours!" That the book says only that his father was either Abraham or Jno S
Cooley indicates they were probably just looking at Jo White Linn's Surry
county compilations and making a guess. But the question is how they
connected to WMC to Sarah. -Any- public record mentioning a Sarah Cooley
in Surry county could be telling. (We do know that Abraham was married to
Sarah Reeder.)

Apparently, James Matthews Sr left a deed in Guilford county NC giving
away his Rowan county land. To whom, one wonders. That would be worth
checking out.

There's also the point the Steve Matthews says he has autosomal DNA
matches to Cooleys. I hope to hear something more from him about that.

I'll let everyone know what I find. If anyone has further suggestions, I'd
be interested.