Fwd: Re: Sarah Matthews m Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:34:13 -0800

Inconclusive. :(

Subject: Re: Sarah Matthews m Cooley
From: "LadyH" <heyladyh_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, November 23, 2011 11:47 am
To: "Michael Cooley" <michael_at_newsummer.com>

Michael,
I believe that I picked up the name of Sarah Matthews COOLEY and her son
William Matthews COOLEY in the book Maury County Cousins.   Since my
search was centered on the male descendants of James MATTHEWS, Sr. and
John DOAK, I did not further pursue the surname COOLEY.

My info says this:  p. 190
"The following names often associated with James (Sr) and Mary MATTHEWS
possibly were their children, but verification has not yet been found:
    Sarah Matthews, who married a COOLEY, and had a son William Matthews
COOLEY - - -
    * Mussendine Matthews, Rev. War soldier, who died in Iredell County in
1830 - - -
    and Robert Matthews, who died in Iredell County ca 1819 - - - -"

NB:  Later evidence suggests that this * Mussendine Matthews was not a son
of James Sr.

As you have discovered, many of the biographical books pertaining to early
TN and NC families are far from accurate.  When I was working in Salt Lake
City FHC, I set out to read all the books pertaining to the Matthews
surname, especially in Maury Co., TN.   I found contradictions galore.
Legal records were the best means of delineating the families.

I am sorry that I cannot verify the name of the Cooley man to whom Sarah
Matthews was married.

Best regards,
Helen Odum Harrell

Then I listed the several works in chronological order, and was amazed to
learn that many of the authors either gave no documentation, or simply
cited another of the books, and some of the more recent compilers cited
each other!