Re: Dickson Co. census - COOLEY - BAILEY

From: curt mason <curt.moorman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:25:24 -0700

On 10/10/2011 5:07 PM, Michael Cooley wrote:
> Yes, this is the James Cooley we're wondering about. Had John Cooley died
> and then did Martha marry James? We know from census records that the
> father of Milo, EC and Elizabeth was born in MO.
>
> I think this James belonged to Perrin, but he also fits as Joseph's
> James--except that some of us think that's the James who died c1829, Jane
> White's husband.
>
> According to the 1880 census, Elizabeth Cooley Bailey's mother was born in
> TN. That wouldn't fit with what we've seen for Martha. Does anyone know
> where the mother of Joseph Cooley's (John, Joseph, John) wife, Elizabeth
> Locke, was born? It would be interesting to see mtDNA that has passed down
> her matrilineage. In other words, if Eliza and Elizabeth Locke were
> sisters, they could have matching mtDNA floating around to this day.
>
> I think Jim Cooley may be right when he suggested that the Nancy Cooley
> below was EC's first wife--but she had a nine year-old child.
>
> -Michael
EC
   +Nancy
   +Mary

doesn't look promising. In 1860 Nancy has a 2 year old and an infant.
At the same time EC is with Mary and a 1 year old. The timeline stinks.

If I had access to the 1860 images I'd double check those ages for a
start. Do you have the pre-1850 census' for these people? Martha might
have had another son b. 1830ish d. abt 1859 who married the widow, Nancy.

This COOLEY stuff was supposed to be in the msg about the John Calvin
BAILEY/Elizabeth F. COOLEY family. The 2 families lived close
together; The BAILEYs were all b. VA, including James C., EF b. MO,
newlywed! (17, no kids) James & Martha came from MO > TN 1840-1848;
Nancy's 9 year old from a previous marriage?? The gap is suggestive.
So, 1847-48, Martha's kids were getting married in TN (spouses all b.
TN), & they all seem to have left Dickson Co. aft1860. John & Elizabeth
living with the CANNON family (Kin?) in 1870 Tipton Co., TN & returned
to Dickson Co. bef 1880. I didn't try to track Martha's other kids off
into the wilderness as I know you guys been working on that for some time.

Why did Elizabeth F. go to TN to get married? Mommy & Daddy took her
with them when they went. Is she Martha's dau? I couldn't find any
records except the cemetery & that's circumstantial. No birth, marriage
or death records that I could find. How about someone steal a time
machine, go back & ask?

--
Curt, in Phoenix, Arizona
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=curti_m