Re: Dickson Co. census - COOLEY - BAILEY

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:07:12 -0700

Yes, this is the James Cooley we're wondering about. Had John Cooley died
and then did Martha marry James? We know from census records that the
father of Milo, EC and Elizabeth was born in MO.

I think this James belonged to Perrin, but he also fits as Joseph's
James--except that some of us think that's the James who died c1829, Jane
White's husband.

According to the 1880 census, Elizabeth Cooley Bailey's mother was born in
TN. That wouldn't fit with what we've seen for Martha. Does anyone know
where the mother of Joseph Cooley's (John, Joseph, John) wife, Elizabeth
Locke, was born? It would be interesting to see mtDNA that has passed down
her matrilineage. In other words, if Eliza and Elizabeth Locke were
sisters, they could have matching mtDNA floating around to this day.

I think Jim Cooley may be right when he suggested that the Nancy Cooley
below was EC's first wife--but she had a nine year-old child.

-Michael