Re: Elizabeth F. Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 23:46:21 -0700

If her father was John H Cooley, MO make sense.

The William Bearden and Hannah Cooley marriage in Chariton is great! Let
us know what you find!

-Michael

> The 1880 Dickson Co. Census has Elizabeth born in Missouri but this
> appears to have been
> (attempted to be) blotted out and replaced with MI, which I believe was
> the enumerators error for the
> abbreviation for Missouri. This is reinforced when not only Elizabeth's
> father is stated born in "MI"
> but Elizabeth's children have their mother's birthplace MI as well.
> Elizabeth's mother is stated as
> born in Tennessee, which differs from Martha's own census appearances
> stating VA or GA, but
> another family tree I have found has Martha born in Tennessee and sister
> to William Bearden who
> married Hannah Cooley (of Madison Co. KY?) on 11 Jun 1828 in Chariton
> Co. MO.
>
> I've just replied tonight to a post I sent to a descendant of William
> Bearden who may be able to shed
> some light on these Missouri Beardens, though he was not recalling the
> marriage of Martha and
> John right off the bat and was going to go through his own notes.
>
> The 1850 and 1860 census have no spot for parents birthplace but
> Elizabeth's birthplace is stated MO.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> On 10/9/2011 10:36 PM, Michael Cooley wrote:
>> Gloria and I were emailing about this earlier this evening. I hadn't
>> known
>> there were two Bailey-Waynick marriages.
>>
>> My access to census records is down tonight. What does the 1880 census
>> say
>> for the births of Elizabeth Cooley Bailey's parents?
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>> --------------020609030600020102030204
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>>
>>> I remembered seeing this once before, and perhaps you have, too, but it
>>> seems to reinforce the Missouri angle. The emphasis on the 3rd
>>> sentence
>>> is mine. Amen!
>>>
>>> This is lifted from Google Books: /_Montgomery County,Tennessee --
>>> Family History Book_/ published by Turner Publishing Co., 2000? page
>>> 130
>>>
>>> "Bailey-Waynick"
>>> "George Nelson Bailey (b Jan 1855) was the son of John Calvin Bailey
>>> and
>>> Elizabeth F. Cooley. George's father was born in Virginia in 1829 and
>>> his mother in Missouri in 1833.
>>> /_It is a mystery how they met and came to live in Tennessee._/
>>> Elizabeth is buried in the Waynick Cemetery in Dickson County, she died
>>> on April 9, 1884. George has 9 siblings, one older than he, they were
>>> Olar, M.A.J., Robert Carroll, Mary M., Allen B., Leonard, Nora and two
>>> with unknown names."
>>>
>>> George and his wife, Martha E. Waynick, lived in Montgomery County for
>>> a time but they are both buried in the Waynick Cemetery.
>>>
>>> Any clues on what Elizabeth's middle name could be? (Please don't say
>>> Firman ;-) ) Her and John's kids' names don't seem to help at all,
>>> though E.C. Cooley had children named Mary, George and Leonard.
>>> Coincidence?
>>>
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 9/27/2011 9:56 AM, G Tanner wrote:
>>>> Elizabeth F. Cooley who married John Calvin Bailey - info I've gotten
>>>>
>>>> My mom (who is the g-g grandaughter of Elizabeth) has a 1st cousin who
>>>> lives in Tennessee, and he stated that Elizabeth's mother was from
>>>> Tennessee and her father's family was from Michigan. I'm questioning
>>>> the Michigan part; however, he is going to visit a woman today, who
>>>> has written several books on the history of Dickson Tennessee, and who
>>>> he says "knows the town better than anyone" to see if she has any
>>>> information on Elizabeth Cooley. He will forward any info to my mom.
>>>>
>>>> My mom was told that her great Aunt Risby Waynick Simmons was related
>>>> to Elizabeth Cooley. Risby was married to Levi Simmons. Levi is the
>>>> twin brother of my g-g grandfather Eli Simmons who married Nora Bailey
>>>> who is the daughter of John Bailey and Elizabeth Cooley. Risby's
>>>> mother is Elizabeth J Bailey who is John Calvin Bailey's sister.
>>>> Elizabeth J. Bailey married Denard Waynick, and Elizabeth Cooley
>>>> Bailey is buried in the Waynick Cemetery.
>>>>
>>>> Hopefully I will have more information in the next few days.
>>>>
>>>> Gloria
>>> --------------020609030600020102030204
>>> Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>> <html>
>>> <head>
>>> <meta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
>>> http-equiv="Content-Type">
>>> </head>
>>> <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
>>> I remembered seeing this once before, and perhaps you have, too,
>>> but
>>> it seems to reinforce the Missouri angle.&nbsp; The emphasis on
>>> the
>>> 3rd
>>> sentence is mine.&nbsp; Amen!<br>
>>> <br>
>>> This is lifted from Google Books:&nbsp;<i><u>Montgomery
>>> County,Tennessee -- Family History Book</u></i> published by
>>> Turner Publishing Co., 2000?&nbsp; page 130<br>
>>> <br>
>>> "Bailey-Waynick"<br>
>>> "George Nelson Bailey (b Jan 1855) was the son of John Calvin
>>> Bailey
>>> and Elizabeth F. Cooley.&nbsp; George's father was born in
>>> Virginia in
>>> 1829 and his mother in Missouri in 1833.<br>
>>> <i><u>It is a mystery how they met and came to live in
>>> Tennessee.</u></i>&nbsp;
>>> Elizabeth is buried in the Waynick Cemetery in Dickson County, she
>>> died on April 9, 1884.&nbsp; George has 9 siblings, one older than
>>> he,
>>> they were Olar, M.A.J., Robert Carroll, Mary M., Allen B.,
>>> Leonard,
>>> Nora and two with unknown names."<br>
>>> <br>
>>> George and his wife, Martha E. Waynick,&nbsp; lived in Montgomery
>>> County
>>> for a time but they are both buried in the Waynick Cemetery.<br>
>>> <br>
>>> Any clues on what Elizabeth's middle name could be?&nbsp; (Please
>>> don't
>>> say Firman<span class="moz-smiley-s3"><span> ;-)
>>> </span></span>)&nbsp;
>>> Her and John's kids' names don't seem to help at all, though E.C.
>>> Cooley had children named Mary, George and Leonard.&nbsp;
>>> Coincidence?<br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> Jim<br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> <br>
>>> On 9/27/2011 9:56 AM, G Tanner wrote:
>>> <blockquote
>>> cite="mid:20110927165637.MTRL3824.fed1rmfepi102.cox.net_at_fed1rmimpi01.cox.net"
>>> type="cite">
>>> <div style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255,
>>> 255); font-family: times new roman,new york,times,serif;
>>> font-size: 12pt;">
>>> <div>Elizabeth F. Cooley who married John Calvin Bailey - info
>>> I've gotten</div>
>>> <div><br>
>>> </div>
>>> <div>My mom (who is the g-g grandaughter of Elizabeth) has a
>>> 1st
>>> cousin who lives in Tennessee, and he stated that
>>> Elizabeth's
>>> mother was from Tennessee and her father's family was from
>>> Michigan.&nbsp;I'm questioning the Michigan part; however,
>>> he
>>> is
>>> going to visit a woman today, who has written several books
>>> on
>>> the history of Dickson Tennessee, and who he says "knows the
>>> town better than anyone" to see if she has any information
>>> on
>>> Elizabeth Cooley.&nbsp;He will forward any info to my
>>> mom.</div>
>>> <div><br>
>>> </div>
>>> <div>My mom was told that her great Aunt Risby Waynick Simmons
>>> was related to Elizabeth Cooley.&nbsp;Risby was married to
>>> Levi
>>> Simmons.&nbsp;Levi is the twin brother of my g-g grandfather
>>> Eli
>>> Simmons who married Nora Bailey who is the daughter of John
>>> Bailey and Elizabeth Cooley.&nbsp;Risby's mother is
>>> Elizabeth J
>>> Bailey who is John Calvin Bailey's sister.&nbsp;Elizabeth J.
>>> Bailey married Denard Waynick, and Elizabeth Cooley Bailey
>>> is
>>> buried in the Waynick Cemetery.&nbsp;</div>
>>> <div><br>
>>> </div>
>>> <div>Hopefully I will have more information in the next few
>>> days.</div>
>>> <div><br>
>>> </div>
>>> <div>Gloria</div>
>>> </div>
>>> </blockquote>
>>> </body>
>>> </html>
>>>
>>> --------------020609030600020102030204--
>>>
>>> --
>>> <a href="http://newsummer.com/distlist">distlist 0.9</a>
>>> See http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/ for list
>>> information.
>>>
>> --
>> <a href="http://newsummer.com/distlist">distlist 0.9</a>
>> See http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/ for list
>> information.
>>
>>
>
> --
> <a href="http://newsummer.com/distlist">distlist 0.9</a>
> See http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/ for list
> information.
>
Received on Mon Oct 10 2011 - 00:46:22 MDT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Mon Oct 10 2011 - 00:46:22 MDT