Re: Elizabeth F. Cooley

From: The Cooleys <lvcooley5_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 23:30:36 -0700

The 1880 Dickson Co. Census has Elizabeth born in Missouri but this
appears to have been
(attempted to be) blotted out and replaced with MI, which I believe was
the enumerators error for the
abbreviation for Missouri. This is reinforced when not only Elizabeth's
father is stated born in "MI"
but Elizabeth's children have their mother's birthplace MI as well.
Elizabeth's mother is stated as
born in Tennessee, which differs from Martha's own census appearances
stating VA or GA, but
another family tree I have found has Martha born in Tennessee and sister
to William Bearden who
married Hannah Cooley (of Madison Co. KY?) on 11 Jun 1828 in Chariton
Co. MO.

I've just replied tonight to a post I sent to a descendant of William
Bearden who may be able to shed
some light on these Missouri Beardens, though he was not recalling the
marriage of Martha and
John right off the bat and was going to go through his own notes.

The 1850 and 1860 census have no spot for parents birthplace but
Elizabeth's birthplace is stated MO.

Jim