Re: Birth date for James Cooley that married Jane White

From: Jane Wisdom <jdwisdom_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:27:01 -0500

Michael, since you are taking a Civil War class, from the information you
are learning is there any possibility I could ever find information to prove
or disprove that my GG Grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth Cooley, born 1845,
Missouri, daughter of William Cooley, born 1818, son of John(Joseph) served
as a Cpt. in the Civil War, Confederate side?? I have found her listed as
such in Jan Martinet's Cooley history but cannot find any thing to prove her
service under General Price. Was it illegal for a woman to serve as an
officer? Her brother died in southern prison and her father and another
brother were in prison in Alton, Ill.
Her first husband was killed by bushwhackers in Randolph Co. sometime prior
to 1868 when she married her second husband. Can't find that story either.
HIs name was Phillips and I don't know the first name.
Jane Wisdom