Re: Birth date for James Cooley that married Jane White

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:16:25 -0700

I'm not sure where the date of 1808 originated, but it make sense if we
accept the order of children listed in James's letters of administration:

Demarquis D Cooley (1802-1826) m Rebecca
Isaac N Cooley (1805-c1838)
James M Cooley (1808-)
Timothy Goode "Tink" Cooley (1810-1893)
John H Cooley (1812-1846)
Cornelius Cooley (1814-1843 MO)
Benjamin R Cooley (1816-1880+ MO)
Mathias M Cooley (1818-1870)
William W Cooley (1818- MO)

I know that the year of Matthias's birth is pretty solid due to census
records and his tombstone. I think Ben's also is consistent with census
records. How about Tink's? I understand that's solid too. If the birth order
is correct and James was born between Isaac and Tink, then 1808ish works.

In respect to Joseph's children, his daughter, Elizabeth Cooley White, said
this: "In my eleventh year, death visited our family and claimed my mother
for its victim, leaving six children. I being the third child..."

I have...

Elizabeth Cooley (c1790-c1881) m William White
Mary Cooley (1791-) m Jesse Mitchell
John Cooley (1793-1844) m Elizabeth White
James Cooley (1796-c1829) m Jane White?
Hannah Cooley (1798-) m William Wilson
Tempy Cooley (1800-)

.... but that doesn't make her the third child!

I'd have to review census records to see how consistently Elizabeth's age is
given, but the 1790 census for Joseph gives him one son, presumably born
1790 or earler. (As far as I can tell, there is no census record for Joseph
in 1800. Too bad. That would help!)

Unfortunately, there are too many FGSes without sources listed. Jim Terry's
FGS, which I first saw in the 1990s, says this for James, as son of Joseph:
"1796 - Goose Creek, Green, Kentucky, USA" I asked him about it and he said
it came from the IGI.

So, is it reasonable to accept the order of births from James's records? If
so, are there some good anchors in the form of reliable birth years from
which to build out the other dates? I'd bet that most of the dates we're
looking at were approximations based on the much of the same material we're
looking at.

In his 1930s letter to Tallant, Kiergan said he -thought- James was his
grandfather's brother but, as Sandy pointed out, there are decided errors in
those letters. Do we have other clues as to the identity of Joseph's first
six children.

It would be odd that Joseph didn't name one of is children but, as pointed
out, that's not necessarily unusual. My Edward Cooley didn't name his son
Reuben.

James as a son of Joseph may be difficult to show with primary records but I
suspect we can get a reasonable fix on the birth year for James's James.