Re: John Cooley m Jane White

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:33:22 -0700

Mostly the age difference. The fact that knowledge about James came down
through a Joseph descendant is also interesting. Of course, there were a
lot of marriages between the Joseph Cooley family and the Whites, but that
doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened in James's family.

But this would be the clincher: we need to learn the date of the letters
of administration for the elder James Cooley (d 1822). Son Benjamin Cooley
(b 1816) was -not- listed as a minor which means the paperwork might have
been done as late as 1837. James M is listed but the James who married
Jane White would have long been dead!

Besides, I have an idea what happened to James M Cooley, but -that- will
be especially controversial and I'm not prepared to go public yet. :)

Your thoughts? Do you have more info about the case that was brought
before the court by Abiel Leonard? (His parers are in the Western
Historical Manuscript Collection. Hmmm, I just read that the judge, Judge
David Todd, was Mary Todd Lincoln's uncle! I'm trying to find out just
when he moved to Columbia, MO in hopes that it will help date the papers.)

-Michael