[List] Joseph Cooley estate

Kate Duncan kdunk13 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 30 20:10:10 PDT 2007

Hello, Cooley relations:

Below is my transcription of documents copied for me by volunteers at
the Liberty, Mo., Historical Archives this past summer. This begins with
a court case in 1842 when the descendants of *Joseph Cooley* (including
my 5th g-grandmother and grandfather, Elizabeth Cooley White and William
White) are suing for partition of Joseph Cooley's land in Clay County,
Mo. It's a lot to wade through, but I'm including all of the file for
the names that might be of general interest, and for whatever other
clues might be there. Included in the case file was the appraisal
inventory and later, the sale inventory following Joseph Cooley's death.
It's interesting to see that Kaziah Cooley (as her name is spelled in
these materials) has to buy back her household furniture, horses, etc.,
at the sale -- she would have been entitled to only her dower rights
(1/3 of the estate, I believe) after Joseph's death. There's a later
case that I'll transcribe when time permits that involves Nancy White
Gragg and her landmark dower rights suit -- or perhaps everyone on this
list has already seen that?

I haven't totaled this up, but Joseph sounds fairly prosperous to me,
for the times. After his death and the land partition, of course, it may
have been another story for the descendants, but those who remained in
Clay County went on to hold prominent positions in the county, I think.

It's interesting to me, particularly, because I'm originally from the
area described, although I live in South Carolina currently ... and so
many of the names remain on the land. There's a Samuel Clevenger
referenced (he was a county clerk) -- I believe he's an ancestor of the
Clevengers who even today farm the land in the Missouri River Bottoms
between Orrick (in Ray County) and Missouri City (in Ray County.) Alas,
I'm not really aware of any Cooleys remaining in the area today. Cooley
Lake was a shallow pond the last I knew, but not farmland, as someone
said. Joseph Cooley's land described in this court case abuts Cooley
Lake (section one and section two are right above one another) on the
east side of Cooley Lake, according to the 1877 Historical Atlas of Clay
County, Missouri. In 1877, the only Cooley remaining was H.M. Cooley,
with 40 acres in the middle south of section 7, Township 50, North Range
31 and 32 West -- closer to North Kansas City than to Missouri City, if
I have my bearings right (but still in Clay County.)

Another interesting point in this transcription are the final reference
to the Hardwickes in the document I numbered "13" below. I have a copy
of another case (to be transcribed, but I'm not sure when) from 1832-33
in which John M. Hardwicke alleges that Joseph Cooley sold him a tract
of land in 1824, before Joseph Cooley's death, which Kaziah/Keziah
apparently disputes.

Perhaps this court case is the reason the land was not partitioned for
the descendants until 16 years after Joseph Cooley's death. But that's
just my speculation, at this point.

Please note that in the transcription below, I've done my best to
present the material as it appears in the original documents, with the
same archaic spellings, etc. This being a copy of the original, there
are places where it's difficult to interpret. Any corrections would be
most welcome. In addition, although I have dear relatives who are
farmers, I'm not one myself ... so if I've misinterpreted the names of
various farm implements, etc., in the appraisal lists, please let me
know that, as well.

Another document that I've found recently that may be of interest to the
group, if you don't already have it, comes from the Missouri Secretary
of State's online records:

SOS Home/Records Services/Missouri State Archives/Soldiers
Database/Record Detail:

Name: Joseph Cooley
Rank: Private
Conflict: War of 1812
Type of Unit: (blank)
Name of Unit: 3rd Company 3rd Battalion 3rd Regiment
Company: (blank)
Note: (blank)
Record Group: Office of Adjutant General
Series Title: Record of Service Index, War of 1812, 1812-1813
Box: 18
Reel: Blank

Now, to the transcription:

Clay County
Archives

Box # 10 # 960

*_Outside of folder:_*

(Names mentioned)

Cooley, Joseph, Decd

Darlington, Jas. H. (Publisher of _The
Herald_ newspaper)

Cooley, John
White, Elizabeth Cooley
White, William
Wilson, Hannah Cooley (decd)
Wilson, Eveline
Wilson, Margaret
Wilson, William L
Wilson, William
Handley, Wm. Joseph
Mitchell, Mary (Polly) Cooley
Mitchell, Jesse
Officer, Eveline Cooley
Officer, James
Cooley, Christopher
   "  , Harrison
   "  , Jackson
   "  , Franklin
   "  , Ely or Eli
Handley, Cassander Cooley (dec’d)
/[Note: this name is spelled "Cassander" not Cassandra throughout these documents]/

Hayes, Benjamin
Cooley, Keziah
Camron, Elisha
Levi, Solomon
Price, John G.
Wrightsman, Peter

1.

Attestation dated 7 June 1842 from
Jas. H. Darlington, publisher of The Herald newspaper, that notice of the
partition of Cooley land had been published on these dates in 1842: 19 March,
26 March, 2 April, 9^th  April, 16^th  April, 23 April, 30 April, 7 May and 17 May. Signed: John Hendley, justice of the peace.

2.

Copy of the handwritten petition:

To the Hon. [uncl] Judges of the
Circuit Court of Clay County State of Missouri

Your Petitioners John Cooley, Elizabeth White and her husband William
White & Eveline Wilson, Margaret Wilson and William L. Wilson, infant
heirs of Hannah Wilson formerly Hannah Cooley by their Guardian William
Wilson Eveline Officer and James Officer her husband Christopher Cooley,
Harrison Cooley, Jackson Cooley, Franklin Cooley and Ely Cooley
would respectfully show unto your honour, that your petitioners,
together with William Joseph Handley infant heir of Casander Handley
formerly Casander Cooley, and Mary Mitchell, are the owners in fee
simple of the following describing tract of land to wit the west half of
the SouthWest quarter of Section One of Township Fifty One in Range
thirty, containing eighty acres, and part of the East half of the
Northwest quarter of Section One of same Township and Range, containing
twenty acres, and the West half of the northwest quarter of Section
Twelve & and Township and Range Containing 80 acres, in the whole tract
one hundred and eighty acres, situated lying & being in Clay County
Mifsouri of [unclear] that your Petitioners & the said William Joseph
Handley and Mary Mitchell denied title to said land by descent and
inheritance from their ancestor Joseph Cooley decd

Your petitioners make the said
William Joseph Handley and Mary Mitchell and also her husband Jesse Mitchell
defendants to this petition, and pray the apportionment of a guardian ad-litem,
for said William Joseph Handley and an order of publication and the said Mary
Mitchell and her husband, who are not residents of this state … your
petitioners would further show that except your petitioners and the said defendants,
Your Petitioners know of no other person or persons who are or devise[?] any
contingency will [unclear] entitling to any beneficial interest in said premises

            Your
Petitioners would further show unto your honor that they desire a partition of
said land and premises, according to the [unclear] rights of the parties
therein, and pray of this court partition of said land and premises accordingly
and if such partition cannot be made without prejudices to the owners, then
your petitioners pray a sale of said land and premises and a division of the
proceeds according to the respective interest and rights of the parties and
with [unclear]

William L. Wood attorney for
Petitioners

3.

State of Mifouri

County of Clay}

Christopher Cooley maketh oath and saith that the matters and things set
forth and stated in the foregoing petition are true to the best of his
knowledge and belief.

Christopher Cooley

Submitted & Sworn to before me, March 9^th  1843
Saml Tillery, Clerk Clay Circuit Court

4.

To the Said Defendants, in the
foregoing Petition mentioning you are hereby notified that we will on the first
day of the June term of the Clay Circuit being the 6^th  day of June,
or as soon thereafter as the same can be heard at the Courthouse in the Town of
Liberty we will present the [answered?] and foregoing petition to said court
for hearing. When and when[cq] you can attend if you think proper, March 9^th  1842

John Cooley for heirs, Petitioners
by
William L. Wood, their attorney

5.

John Cooley & others,
Petitioners for partition

vs William J. Handley & others

[on opposite side of paper: son of James
R. Handley)

Filed on the 22^nd  day of
Sept AD 1842

Saml Tillery Clerk

To the said defendants, in the
foregoing Petition mentioning you are hereby notified that we will on the first
day of the June term of the Clay Circuit being the 6^th  day of June,
or as soon thereafter in the term can be heard at the Courthouse in the Town of
Liberty we will present the answered and foregoing petition to said Court for
hearing-

When and when you can attend if you
think proper, March 9^th  1842

John Cooley & others
Petitioners by
William L. Wood, their attorney

6.

John Cooley & others,
Petitioners for partition

vs } Petition for partition

} Answer of guardian ad litem --

William J. Handley & Mary
Mitchell & her husband

Filed on the 22^nd  day of
Sept AD 1842

Saml Tillery Clerk

The answer of Benjamin Hayes,
guardian ad litem of William Joseph Handley, to the petition for partition of
John Cooley, Elizabeth White and her husband William White, & Eveline
Wilson, Margaret Wilson and William L. Wilson, infant heirs of Hannah Wilson,
formerly Hannah Cooley by their guardian William Wilson, Eveline Officer and
James Officer her husband, Christopher Cooley, Harrison Cooley, Jackson Cooley,
Franklin Cooley and Eli Cooley, pending before the Hon. Judge of the Clay
circuit court in Chancery sitting –

The answer of your respondent states that he has no personal knowledge
of the allegations or matters and doings contained in said petition,
save what appears from the affidavit of Keziah Cooley administrix of
Joseph Cooley, deceased filed in the office of the clerk of the county
court of Clay county, from which it appears that the heirs of said
Joseph Cooley living at the time of the filing of said affidavit were
eleven in number, to wit, Polly Mitchell then resident in Tennessee, and
John Cooly[cq], Elizabeth White, Hannah Wilson, Eveline Cooley,
Christopher Cooley, Cassander Cooley, Harrison Cooley, Jackson Cooley,
Franklin Cooley, Eli Cooley residing in Missouri. Said affidavit was
filed as aforesaid on the 14^th day of June AD 1826, Your respondent
further says that from the inventory of the property real and personal
of the said Joseph Cooley, filed as aforesaid on or about the same date,
it appears that the real estate of said Joseph Cooley amounted to one
hundred and eighty acres lying in the county of Clay and state of
Missouri,. The other allegations of said petition your respondent
neither admits nor denies, but calls upon the petitioners to make proof
of the same. Having fully answered in the premises[?], your respondent
pray to be [unclear] dismissed.

Benjamin Hayes

7.

John Cooley & others

Vs.

Wm J. Handley & Mary Mitchell
& others

In the Clay Circuit Court

The following is a statement of
the costs in the above cause

Amount of Clerks fee	$9.75

Sheriffs fees calling parties
& action
at September Term/42    $30 [rest unclear]

Calling parties & action at
May term/43            $30[rest unclear]

Commifsion on purchase money
for
which Real Estate was sold

$6.00                _12.0_ [rest off page]_
_		     $22.3 [est off page]

Sheriff of Buchannon[cq] $_1.__50_

        		23.83

Printers fee            _13.30_

                        $37.33

8.

John Cooly[cq] vs. Joseph
Handley
John Cooly[cq] & others

Vs} Petition for partition

>From Joseph Handley Jr.

[handwritten in pencil: 1842]

[name unclear],

Sheriff of Scott[?] will

Serve a copy of the within on
William Joseph Handley & make return on this --- to clerk Circuit Court Clay County by mail [unclear]

Attny

[Handwritten: son of James R. Handley)

On back of paper:

Executed the within by
delivering a true coppy[cq] of the same to Wm Joseph Handley

RN Bankhurst
Sheriff [unclear] Co-

Fees $4.00

To the said defendants in the
foregoing petition mentioned you are hereby notified that we will on the first
day of the June term of the Clay circuit court being the 6^th  day of
June or as soon thereafter as the same can be heard, at the courthouse in the
Town of Liberty we will present the answer and foregoing petition to said Court
for hearing when and where you can attend if you think proper

March 9^th  1842

John Cooley & others
Petitioners
by
William L. Wood their attorney

Counterpart[?] & true copy
of the original as filed in my office

Saml Tillery Clark

9.

Camron & Wrightsman 26^th  December
Levi 9^th  Jan John G. Prince 14 Jan 1843

John Cooley & others

Vs} Order for Co—[unclear]

Wm J Handley

I John Baxter Sheriff of Clay
County do hereby certify that I executed the within order by delivering a true
copy of the same to each of the within named commifsioners to wit, Elisha
Camron & Peter Wrightsman on the 26^th  day of December AD 1842
and Solomon Livi[cq] on the 9^th  and John G. Price on the 14^th
day of January AD 1843 in Clay County this the 16^th  day of April AD
1843

John Baxter
Sheriff
of Clay County

Sheriff fee $2.00

10.

In the Clay Circuit Court September
Term AD 1842

John Cooley, Elizabeth White and her husband William White, Eveline Wilson, Margaret Wilson & William L.
Wilson, infant heirs of Hannah Wilson, formerly Hannah Cooley by their guardian
William Wilson, Eveline Officer and James Officer her husband, Christopher Cooley,
Harrison Cooley, Jackson Cooley, Franklin Cooley and Ely[cq] Cooley

Petition
for Partition of Land.

            VS.

William Joseph Handley, Mary Mitchel [cq] and James Mitchel [cq] her husband.

Now at this day come
The parties aforesaid by
their attorney and Benjamin Hayes who was appointed Guardian ad litem to
William Joseph Handley filed his answer so the petition aforesaid and the court
being satisfied that they are entitled to a share in said land to wit

The west half of the South West quarter of section one of Township fifty one and range thirty, and
part of the East half of the NorthWest quarter section one same township and
range containing twenty acres and the west half of the NorthWest quarter of
section twelve same township and [unclear] in all one hundred and eighty acres
being the land in the petition mentioned viz. John Cooley one eleventh part,
Elizabeth White one eleventh part, and Eveline Wilson, Margaret Wilson &
William L. Wilson one eleventh part, Eveline Officer one eleventh part,
Christopher Cooley one eleventh part, Harrison Cooley one eleventh part,
Jackson Cooley one eleventh part, Franklin Cooley one eleventh part, Eli[cq]
Cooley one eleventh part, and Joseph William Handley one eleventh part, and
Mary Mitchell one eleventh part, and for the purposes of making partition amongst
the heirs aforesaid. It is ordered that Elisha Camron, Solomon Levi, Peter
Wrightsman, and John S. Price be and they are hereby appointed commifsioners,
who after being duly sworn on the law directs are required to go upon the
premises aforesaid and make partition of the same amongst parties aforesaid
agreeable to their respective shares unlefs they in their opinions think that a
partition thereof cannot be made without great prejudice to the owners and they
are further ordered to make report of their proceeding to the next term of this
court. Any three of said commifsioners may act and make report.

State of Missouri,
County of Clay

I Samuel Tillery clerk of
the Circuit Court within and for the County
 of Clay do hereby certify that the
above and foregoing is a true and correct copy of an order made in the above
cause at the September Term of said Court AD 1842

In Witnefs  Whereof I have here unto set my hand and
affixed the seal of said Court This 9^th  day of December AD 1842

Saml Tillery Clerk

11.

You and each of you do
solemnly swear that you will honestly and impartially execute the trust reposed
in you and to make partition as directed by the court, unlefs it shall appear
to you or a majority of you that partition of the premises cannot be made
without great prejudice to the owners and report your proceedings to the next
court to the best of your knowlede[cq] so help you god –

Solomon Levi

Sworn and Subscribed

To before me this the 27 day
Of April 1843 Wm Munkers, JP

Justices costs     $0.75 cts

The undersigned commifioners [commissioners] within named
respectfully report that having been first sworn as required by law they
proceeded to the discharge of the duties afigned [assigned] them and report it
as our opinion that partition of the premises within mentioned cannot be made
without great prejudice to the owners

Given under our hands this 27^th  day of April 1843

Solomon Levi
Elisha Camron
Peter Writesman

Commissioners fees

Solomon Levi one day		$1.50
Elisha Camron one day		$1.50
Peter Wrightsman one day	$1.50

12.

Appraisement Bill
Estate of Joseph Cooley dec

Filed 12 Sep 1826
William L. Smith
Judge

State of Mifouri
County of Clay

We, Samuel Clevenger,
 John [Hutchings?] Elisha Camron

Being selected and chosen
appraisers by Kasiah Cooley, adminstratix of the estate of Joseph Cooley, deceased,
do swear that we are not interested or of kin to anyone interested in said
estate, as heir at law or [devise?], and that we will truly and fully according
to the best of our skill & abilities, now appraise and value, the slaves
and other personal property to us produced So to

Sworn and subscribed to before me, a justice of the peace within and for said County on this 13^th
day of July AD. 1826 Andrew B. Baldwin

Signed Elisha Camron,
John [Hutchings?] Samuel Clevenger

			$   cts

One sorrel horse,
appraised to ----	30.—
One bay horse,
appraised to ---	60.—
One bay mare, and
colt, appraised to ---	45.—
One sorrel horse
appraised to ---	55.—
One sorrel horse
appraised to ---	40.—
One roan horse
appraised to---		25.—
One bay horse
appraised to (died before sold)10.—
Three cows and calves one steer and heifer[cq] and
            one heifer yearling appraised to---    32.50
Nineteen head of
cattle appraised to---	60.—
Twenty five head of
hogs appraised to---	38.75
Eight head of hogs
appraised to---		12.—
Five head of hogs
appraised to---		10.—
Fourteen head of
hogs appraised to---	21.50
Six head of hogs
appraised to---		11.—
Five head of hogs
appraised to---		8.50
Ten head of hogs
appraised to---		15.—
Two sows appraised
to--			5.50

            Amount carried over             $479.75

One
barrow appraised to---    4.50[50 scratched out)
Three bells and
collars appraised to---    2.—
One grindstone
appraised to---            4.—
One waggon[cq] and
hind geer[cq] appraised to---30.—
Five head of sheep
appraised to---        9.—
One lot of tools
appraised to---        8.50
Two Collers[cq] two
pair of geer two bridles[cq]
    two single trees and streatchers[cq]
appraised to---		11.—
One lot of old iron
appraised to---    	.50
One crofs cut
[crosscut] saw appraised to---4.—
Five pair of horse
shoes appraised to---2.50
One lot of tools
appraised to---        7.—
One lot of old geering
and housing appraised to---8.—
One Scythe
appraised to---             1.50
One pair of
streatchers and [clives?] appraised to---21.—
One set of black
smith tools appraised to---40.—
A pen[?] of
charcoal appraised to---    5.—
One barr[?] shear
plough appraised to---	10.—
One barr shear
plough appraised to---    8.—
One Shovel plough
appraised to---        2.50
One Shovel plough
appraised to---        2.50
One fine hackle
appraised to---        6.—
One coarse hackle
appraised to---    	6.—
One pair of
Steelyards appraised to---4.—

                        Amount carried over	$657.75[cq]

One mans saddle appraised to---3.—
One mans saddle and housen[sp?] appraised to---3.—
One side saddle appraised to---2.—
One pair of saddle bags appraised to----.50
Five old barrels appraised to---1.50
One small table and a lot of tools appraised to---3.—
One chest appraised to---3.—
One cupboard and furniture appraised to---45.—
One rifle and pouch appraised to---15.—
One chest appraised to---3.—
One table knife box ten knives and eleven forks---8.—
Three weeding hoes appraised to---1.50
One large kettle appraised to---6.—
Three pots appraised to---9.—
Three ovens and lids appraised to---7.—
One stew kettle and spider appraised to---2.—
Two small pots and one lid appraised to---1.—
Two pair of pot hooks appraised to---.50
One lot old pewter[?] appraised to---1.50
A lot of kitchen furniture appraised to---5.—
Wooden furniture appraised to---2.50
One fire shovel and iron wedge appraised to---1.25
Two smoothing irons appraised to---1.—
Six chairs appraised to---2.50
One log chain appraised to---1.50
One pot tramel[sp?] appraised to---_1.50_

                        Total amount of  $787.00

                        Kaziah Cooley adm
                            Her
[X] mark

 13.

Inventory of the
Goods and chattels, lands and tenements, rights and credits, belonging to the
estate of Joseph Cooley, deceased, made by Kaziah Cooley, admx..

[lists most of previous, without appraised costs, but also included this note:

180 acres of land
lying in Clay County Mifouri

One note on William
Chick and Hubert Wallace for one hundred bushels of salt

Credited by 14 bushels and ____ on act of John Hardwick for $5.25 cents

Twenty five dollars in cash on act of one Lewis Hardwick for three dollars and fifty cents

We, the undersigned
appraisers appointed & selected to view and appraised the personal estate
of Joseph Cooley, deceased, do certify that the foregoing list contains a true
& correct enumeration and valuation of said personal estate to us shown by
the administratix & the total amount of the appraisers value given under
our [unclear] this the 12^th  day of July AD 1826

(signed) Samuel
Clevenger, John Hutchings Elisha Camron

14.

Sale Bill

Estate of Jos.
Cooley, dec.

Filed on this 25^th
day of Augt 1827

W.L. Smith clerk

List of the sale of
the property belonging to the estate of Joseph Cooley decd held on the [blank]
day of August AD 1826, at the late residence of said deceased, by Kaziah
Cooley, administrix of said estate---

 Articles Sold     Purchaser’s Name        Amount

                                          Dollars

1 speckled cow& calf    William White   5.00
1 Black & pided[cq] steer   Joshua Yates   3.00
1 red cow & calf   Eli Casey  5.00
1 sorrel horse   William Wilson  44.50
1 bald-face sorrel horse  John Cooley  25.00
1 Pale sorral horse  Kaziah Cooley 25.00
1 roan colt   John Smith 27.25
1 grind stone  Elisha Camron 6.00
1 bay horse  Kaziah Cooley 40.00
1 bay mare and colt   do[/means ditto]  /35.00
1 Lot of 5 head hogs  Joshua P. Yates  10.56 ½
1 Lot of 12 hogs  John Hardwicke  10.75
do 10 do  Lewis Hardwick Jun  10.50
1 do 5 do  Thomas Poteat  7.50
1 do 4 do  Joshua Yates, Sen  5.12 ½
1 red cow & calf white back  Allen Colpleasure  6.37 ½
1 pided cow and red calf  William Wilson  5.25
1 brown cow & calf  Thornton Strother  7.12 ½
1 red cow  Edward Stephenson  7.00
1 log of hogs   Levi N. Crosby[McCrosky?]  6.75
1 waggon & gear  William White 35.00
1 lot of gear & bearskin[?]  do  6.00
1 plough  Abraham Creek  8.37 ½
1 shovel plough  Amos Riley 3.00
1 pair stretchers & clevrs  William White  3.12 ½
1 large kettle  Isaac Allen 6.37½
1 oven & lid  do  1.68¾
1 large pot  Edward Stephenson  2.62 ½

            Amount carried over    $358.87 ½

 1 broken pot  William White  .50
1 rifle gun & shot pouch  James Cooley  20.00
1 pided heifer  John Handley 3.12 ½
1 little Bull  John Cooley 2.00
1 black bull  do  3.00
1 small pided steer  Thomas Poteat 1.50
1 red cow white back  Thomas Allen 5.50
1 small broad axe  John Allen 2.12 ½
1 pided heifer  Saml Clevenger  2.25
1 white calf  John Cooley 1.50
1 crof-cut saw   Thomas Vaughn 2.87 ½
1 axe  John Cooley 1.87 ½
1 scythe & sneaud[?]  Jno. Thornton  1.37 ½
1 stone hammer  Elisha Camron .75
1 Frow [/unclear/]  John Allen 1.00
1 shovel  John Jobe .25
Augur & chisel  Saml Cleavenger[cq]  .75
Horse shoes  John Cooley 2.00
Old irons  Dixon Penny .50
Saddle bags  Saml Prewitt .37 ½
1 saddle  Dixon Penny .50
1 do & bearskin  William White 3.00
1 cubboard & furniture  Kaziah Cooley 25.00
1 chest   do  1.50
1 small table  do  1.00
Table knife box & knives  do  4.00
6 chairs  do  1.50
large chest  do  2.00
1 hackle  do  3.00
1 do  Charles English  8.00
1 pair steelyards Elisha Camron 3.31 ½
1 sickle  Saml Clevenger  .37 ½
1 Reaf [sp] hooks  Thomas Poteet .31 ½
2 bells  Kaziah Cooley 1.00
                 Amount carried over      $468.75

Augur, saw, knife, hammer, Curry Comb, horse shoes, axe  Kaziah Cooley
5.00
1 half bushel
measure  do  .50
3 hoes  do  1.00
1 log chain  do  1.50
1 set blacksmith’s
tools  James Smith  5.00
Bin of coal  Edmond Stephenson  4.00
5 barrels  Kaziah Cooley .31 ¼
1 hog & 5 pigs    do  1.00
1 bureau  William Wilson  4.00
1 bell  William White  .24

                        $536.30 ¼

State of Mifouri
County of Clay

I, Thornton
Strother, being employed as clerk at the sale of the property belonging to the
estate of Joseph Cooley, decd held on the [blank] day of [blank] last past, do
swear that I am not interested in said estate, nor of kin to any person interested
as heir or devisee[?] and that the above and foregoing list contains a true
account of the sales made by the administrix at the time therein specified.

                                                      Thornton Strother

Sworn and
subscribed to

Before me on the 24