[List] Cooley Documents

Shirley Wilcox slwilcox at juno.com
Mon May 14 05:31:08 PDT 2007

OK, here is my family. I'm searching for the parents of John Cooley, born
1792-96 in KY. He married Annis Ann Harden, daughter of Electious Hardin,
3 Nov. 1816, Overton Co., TN. The marriage date and place was in his war
of 1812 pension. Since she too was from Adair Co., I can't figure out why
they married in TN. I think he died 30 June 1880 in Lake Co., CA (a date
in the Frank Knox diary). Annis out lived him, but I don't know when she
died. Neither has a tombstone in the Hartley Cemetery, Lakeport, CA,
where so many of my other relatives are buried.

I have identified five children for John Cooley
1. Nancy Ann (my line), b 3 Nov 1818, nr Columbia, Adair Co., KY, m Jacob
Fees, 9 Feb 1836, Adair Co., KY, d. 8 May 1912, Lakeport, Lake Co., CA;
bur. Hartley Cem., Lakeport
2. Felix, b 1820-25, KY, m Sarah M Worth, 19 Jan 1843, Henry Co, IA, d 20
Oct 1913, bur. Glendale Cem., Des Moines twp., Polk Co., IA
3. Mary Ann, b. ca. 1825, KY, m. Isaac Stormer, 28 Nov 1844, Des Moines
Co., IA, d. 1852 near the Platte River, on the west side of Camp Creek,
NE, on wagon train to OR
4. John, b. ca. 1824-7, KY, m Sophia Caroline Lane, 27 Feb 1851, Des
Moines Co., IA, d. by 1870?
5. Lydia Ann, b. Oct 1831, KY, m Archer/Archie/Atchy Bridges, 17 Dec
1846, Des Moines Co, IA, d 1910, bur. Oak Hill Cem., Red Bluff, Tehama
Co., CA

In the 1880 census John says his father and mother were born in VA. When
John enlisted for the war at Richmond, Madison Co., KY,  it was in the
regular army, not as a volunteer. One of the families I have been looking
at as possible parents is James Cooley who probably married Patience
Baker as his second wife. That marriage took place 30 Sept. 1802, Madison
Co., KY. They have a slew of kids that have not been identified.

According to his Revolutionary War pension, James Cooley was born 19 Oct.
1760, VA. He resides NC, Craven Co., SC, Surry Co., NC, Montgomery Co.,
VA and Madison Co., KY. From a Madison Co., KY deed I know he had a son
Absolam. This James Cooley may be the man of that name on the 1788 tax
list of Montgomery Co., VA. He is not there the following year. A James
Cooley first appears on the Madison Co., KY tax list in 1794. He had 1 m
21+, 3 cattle, and no land. In 1799 he purchased 56 acres on Paint Lick
Creek from James Long and he sold it in 1803 to John Roberts. When he
sold it, it was described as 56 acres on Silver Creek.

Shirley