[List] Letter from Lura Coolley Hamil

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Tue Apr 17 12:47:20 PDT 2007

This is fabulous. Thanks! Of course, it's also wrong! :) I'll need to spend some time studying it. Do you mind if I put it somewhere on the website?

By the way, the John Cooley who served in the revolution and who married Elizabeth Firmin died in Maryland in 1823.

-Michael

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:34:19 -0700, Mary Cooley wrote
> [...]
>
> At any rate, the book is now in the hands of apublisher who wanted to look it over and I shall use part of the time that mustelapse before I hear a word from it, in catching up on my correspondence, yourletters first of all.
>
> Let me thank you first for all you did for me insending that last long transcript of the family in Oregon and upperCalifornia.  It meant everything to me to have that information.  Itmeant a lot too, to Mrs. Vanderhorst, who spent an afternoon with me some weeksback and we went over it together.  Many of the girls had married sinceshe had word of them.  I am very proud of a snap-shot she brought me ofthe view from her father’s place and she thought she could find me anextra copy of the Pacific shore line where Miller Cooley located.
>
> In an old history of Oregon that I secured from theState Library at Springfield I found references to Eli Cooley and others in themigration of 1852.  In fact I am quite pleased with my Oregon-Missourichapter, and feel that it adds interest and definiteness to my history as awhole.
>
>             ButI have not yet told you what was really my opening sentence in the letter Iwrote and did not send.  You will see that I called you “Cousin”in the beginning.  Well, we are that at some remove.  For Elizabethand Daniel Cooley who located in Kentucky in 1783 were you will find, I ampositive, (here Mildred Tallant haswritten “Do not think this is correct.”)  the parents of your James.  AndElizabeth, baptized in New York state in the old Mahackemack (Minisink) DutchReformed church on March 25, 1764, the daughter of John Cooley and Annetje(Decker) Cooley.  John Cooley has a fine Revolutionary record and I haveit complete.  The Decker line runs back ten generations from you and me,the VanCurler 10, and the Coely line ten generations.
>
>             Nowfor your search on Daniel and Elizabeth you try that Bland County, Virginia,lead, I believe that the Joseph Cooley who was born May 17, 1793 and marriedMaud Woods was an older brother of James (Your James) and that owing to Indiantroubles or something Daniel and Elizabeth lived in the neighborhood of BlandCounty, their children being born there instead of in Kentucky.  You knowit was all one state at that time.  And my solution of the extra JamesCooley you had is borne out by my records.  The oldest of them, JamesCooley of the Revolution was born in 1760 in Pennsylvania son of Joseph Cooleywho married 1st Margaret Miller and had John born 1755, died after1799 (he was the John who took up land in Kentucky and went on to Missouri, yourHoward county John.); Joseph Miller Cooley b 1756 and married 1stMargaret Jackson and 2nd ----Casey, and his children were the Nancythat Mrs. Herron is hunting, an Abraham that may have died, and the young Jameswho died in Missou!
 ri in 1829 – he was 17 when his father went to Missouri– all by Margaret Jackson and by the wife named Casey he had the fivesons whose names you sent me, Jackson, Eli Casey, and Christopher who went intoOregon and Harry and Frank who remained in Missouri.