[List] Adair Co. Kentucky Tax Lists

Shirley Wilcox slwilcox at juno.com
Mon Mar 5 11:39:13 PST 2007

I abstracted Adair Co., KY tax lists in 1984 so I compared my notes with
those of Sandra. Somehow I had missed 1810, so thank you Sandra. I found
a few other differences and will post them below.

FHL #7851 Adair Co., KY Tax Records 1802-1824
                        1802
add: Joseph Cooley, 150A, Goose Cr
          same, 160A, Goose Cr, 1 w m 21+, 3 horses
                        1818
add: James Cooley also had 100A, W Oak
        Daniel Cooley Jr, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
        John Cooley, 1 w m 21+

FHL #7852 Adair Co., KY Tax Records 1825-1844
                        1827
John Cooley, add 50A Casey Cr
                        1829
add another Jno Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
                        no 1832
                        1833
John Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
                        no 1834
                        1835
John Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
                        1836
John Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 hourse
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
                        1837
John Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 1 horse
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 2 horses
                        1838
Aaron Cooly, 1   1   [columns blurred; might be white, voter
                        no 1839
                        1840
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 0 slaves 16+
                        1841
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 0 slaves 16+
                        1842 or 43? [missing from my notes]
                        1844
Aaron Cooley, 1 w m 21+, 0 slaves 16+, 3 horses

[please don't quote me, but I believe the covering rate, was a tax
collected from those who hired their animal out as a studd for breeding
purposes.  Apparently in the case of Aaron Cooley this was an error.

FHL #829,849 Adair Co., KY Court Orders, Vol. E, 1825-1833
p134                1 Oct. 1827
        Aron Cooley said he was improperly charged with a studd horse at
$4 last year. Sheriff to give him $4 credit.

Shirley