[List] Great stuff from Sandy Stanton

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Mon Feb 5 17:49:51 PST 2007

Sandy has looked at the film of the original deed of Washington county KY,
Joseph Gray to Bird Lawless
(http://www.ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/washcodeed.html). What she
includes below is definite proof, I believe, that the William Cooley of
Washington County was the William M Cooley of Stewart county TN. (See
http://www.ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/othercooleys.html#stewartTN for
more info on him). The places William at and/or near the land that Reuben
Cooley (later of Marion county KY) lived on.

The question now is, was he the William Matthews Cooley of Stokes County NC?
And if he was, does he actually figure into John Cooley's family? DNA could
answer that question right away. Please contact me if you know of any living
candidates for William's "Y" descendants.

From: Sandra Stanton <sandystanton at prodigy.net>

The deed in question of Joseph Gray-- it does say
Cooley and not Copley.

What do you guys make of this deed in Washington
county--
Knew all men by these presents that I Joseph Gray of
WashingtonCounty State of Kentucky for and in
consideratin of divers valuable Services rendered &
performed for me by Anne Cooley wife of William Cooley
of the County aforesaid and for the further
consideration of five shillings current money of the
State aforesaid to me in hand paid by the said Anne
Cooley the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge
Have Granted Bargained and Sold and by these presents
do give Grant bargain sell and deliver unto her the
said Anne Cooley and her heirs forever a certain
negroe Girl Slave named Betty and her future increase
and I do hereby Warrant and defend the Said Negro Girl
Betty and her future increase unto the said Anne
Cooley her heirs and assigns forever free from the
claim or demand of alll and every person or persons
Whatsoever & Free and Clear from all incumbrances of
any Kind Whatsoever In Witness whereof I have hereunto
Set my hand and affixed my seal this 18th day of
November 1803.   Joseph Gray   seal

Also, found some deeds for Perrin Cooley in Washington
county.  Perrin was spelled Pyrin and his wife was
named Sarah.

Sandy