[List] More: Edward Cooley's mother-in-law

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Thu Jan 11 20:32:14 PST 2007

This is probably of interest more to descendants of Edward Cooley but since
there's a possibility that his father, John, joined the Virginia Regiment in
Caroline County in 1755, the idea that the Hams may have been from there
becomes very interesting. Richard Goode, the sheriff mentioned below, was
probably also from Caroline. I received the following today from Susan Bullock.

I suspect, by the way, that the second 45+ woman on the 1810 census for Edward
Cooley's household in Stokes County could be Thomas Raper's widow.

--quote--

I have never been completely convinced that Jane Fountain was a daughter of
Thomas Raper.  Maybe a step daughter and therefore the sister of Mordecia.
Below the will is a deed that I found in Stokes Co. Land that belonged to
Thomas Raper was sold to Stephen Ham, son of Mordecia. One of the signers is
Martha Raper. Do you have the Rev. War Pension Application of Mordecia?  It
chronicles the movement of the family from Chatham to Guilford County. It also
states that Joseph Ham (his wife was Seth ) of Stokes Co., NC was Mordecia's
uncle. I don't know who Mordecia's father was.  Martha Ham was either the
daughter or daughter in law of Thomas Ham II & wife Mary of Caroline County,
Va. (Not proven but probable). Thomas Ham I and wife Sarah are found in
Caroline as early as 1723. I'm not sure if she was daughter or daughter in
law.  There is a 1760 Caroline Co., Va court record where a Martha Ham is
presented in court for having a bastard child.  It's possible that this is
Mordecia. Something we will probably never know as Carolina Co., Va was a
burned county and not many records survived. I have found no marriage record
for Martha "Patty" Ham .

[snip]

August 23, 1815 Stokes County, NC Deed book 5, page 580
Edward Cooley and wife Patsey and Elizabeth Fulp sell 195 acres to Stephen
Ham [Stephen Ham is the son of Mordica].  Land conveyed by Richard Goode,
Sheriff of Surry County to Thomas Raper.
Signed:  Edward Cooley, Elizabeth Fulp, Martha Raper
Wit:  James Fountain, Edmonds <unreadable>.
Note:  Edward Cooley and wife Patsey are listed as "late, of Stokes County"
indicating that they no longer live in Stokes.

Susan Bullock
Reidsville, NC

--endquote--