[List] Cooleys - KY>MO>OR

Shirley Wilcox slwilcox at juno.com
Mon Jan 1 16:16:51 PST 2007

Another Oregon Cooley is Miller Wisdom Cooley. He was a son of James &
Frances (Miller) Cooley and a grandson of a Daniel Cooley. He was in the
Mexican War and received a pension (WC 13539). From the pension we learn
that he was born 18 Dec 1822, Madison Co., KY & d 9 Sept 1902, Chetco,
Curry Co., OR. His widow Elizabeth (Hill) Cooley said they married 8 June
1843, Carroll Co., MO. She said he was 23 when he enlisted at Carrollton,
Carroll Co., MO and that they res. 3 1/2 years in Carroll Co., MO, 2
years in Fremont Co., IA, 4 years in Lake Co., OR, 2 years in Josephine
Co., OR & 43 years in Curry Co., OR. An 1887 affidavit by Miller says
they went to OR in 1853. There is a 1929 letter from Mildred Tallant of
Santa Barbara. CA who says she is a granddaughter of Miller Wisdom
Cooley.

In the Revolutionary War Pension file of James Cooley (SC 30961) there is
a 1930 letter from Mildred Tallant of Santa Barbara and she says James
Cooley was her paternal great grandfather. I think I sent data from this
previously. This James said he was born 19 Oct 1762 in VA but moved to NC
when he was small. He was living in Madison Co., KY in 1832. I found a
marriage record  for James Cooley & Frances Miller, 2 June 1814, Adair
Co., KY.

According to other sources, at least two other siblings of Miller Cooley
went to Oregon, a sister Frances Ann and a brother Daniel B. 1887 deeds
show that Miller Cooley & wife Elizabeth and Frances A Cooley; heirs of D
B Cooley dec'd, sold their portion to John D. Cooley. There is a
biographical sketch on Miller Cooley in a Century of Coos & Curry Co.,
OR, p525.

The birth year and place for Daniel B. Cooley & Miller Cooley are in
Oregon Donation Land Claims, Vol. IV, p76.
*******

Joseph Cooley, b ca 1767, d 3 Apr 1836, Liberty, Clay Co., MO; m(2)
Keziah Casey, daughter of Christopher Casey, 15 Feb 1807, Lincoln Co., KY
and several of their children went to OR.
*Eveline G b 7 Dec 1807, KY, m James Officer 19 Feb 1826, Clay Co., MO &
d 14 June 1878, Molalla, Clackamas Co., OR & bur Adams Cemetery [Her
marriage date & place in Oregon Donation Land Claims, Vol. I, p19 under
husband James Officer]
*Christopher C, b 6 Aug 1809, Lincoln Co., KY, m Nancy Officer, 30 Sept
1834, Clay Co, MO & d 13 Nov 1885, Woodburn, Marion Co, OR, bur. Hubbard
Cemetery [His birth date & place & his marriage date & place in Oregon
Donation Land Claims, Vol. I, p86]
*Jackson, b 1816, Howard Co., MO, m Harriet L Dimmick, 13 Nov 1851,
Marion Co., OR Territory, d 16 Aug 1883, Woodburn, Marion Co., OR & bur.
Hubbard Cemetery [His birth date & place & his marriage date & place in
Oregon Donation Land Claims, Vol. I, p85]
*Eli Casey, b 1821, Howard Co, MO, m Lydia Bonney, 18 Oct 1849, Marion
Co., OR Territory, d 26 Aug 1882 [His birth date & place & his marriage
date & place in Oregon Donation Land Claims, Vol. I, p86]

Although the first names of wives and the marriage date and place are
given, the maiden names were not. I got those by going to the MO marriage
records.

The brother Harry Cooley  mentioned in Michael's post apparently was
Harrison Cooley who married Nancy Bean, 12 Jan 1839, Clay Co., MO.
Another correspondent, Betty Pederson, said he died 1850 in Clay Co., MO.
The brother Frank was Franklin who (1) Penelope E Chinn & (2) Mary
Wernway. He was born July 1818 and died 15 Feb 1911, Kansas City, MO
according to Betty. She said the other sibling was Cassandra who married
James Hanley. I found a marriage license for this couple 22 Jan 1835,
Cape Girardeau Co., MO.

*****
Other information can be found in Chapter 10 of a Story of Pioneering by
Laura Cooley Hamil (1955). The author died in 1931 & it was published
later. You have to sort through it carefully as it has nuggets of good
information plus unproven speculation. It's hard to tell where some of
the information came from, but some came from Mildred Tallant. It tries
to connect to a Dutch family and spreads a lot of misinformation to my
mind.

Shirley