[List] Is William Copley William Cooley?

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Thu Dec 14 11:31:30 PST 2006

I hope I'm not way off the mark with my interest in William Cooley. I'm
convinced the Washington county KY William and the Stewart County TN William M
Cooley is the same. But is he the Surry county NC William Matthews Cooley? (We
know, BTW, that William's son Richard, was born in NC.)

In any event, judging from the map I sent last night, this Joseph Gray (later
of Stewart county TN and probably in-law of Wm M Cooley) may have lived close
to John and/or Reuben Cooley. Hopefully, the descriptions below will help
better locate him.

If anyone has access to the film this is transcribed from I'd appreciate a
peak to see if "William Copley" would really read "William Cooley".

-Michael

Washington County KyArchives Deed.....Lawless, Bird - Gray, Joseph April 2, 1804
Copyright.  All rights reserved.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/copyright.htm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ky/kyfiles.html

File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Patricia O’Connor p-oconnor at att.net   February 3, 2006, 11:11 am

Rolling Fork
Written: April 2, 1804
Recorded: October 22, 1804

Washington Co. KY Deed Bk C, p 95
Gray; Lawless; Copley; Given

This Indenture made this 2nd day of April one thousand eight hundred
and four between Joseph Gray of Washington County and State of Kentucky
of the one part and Bird Lawless of said County and State of the other
part.  Witnesseth that the said Joseph Gray for and in consideration of
the sum of one hundred Dollars to him in hand paid the receipt whereof
he doth hereby acknowledge have given Granted bargained sold allened
and Confirmed and by these presents do Give Grant bargain sell allen and
confirm unto the said Lawless and his heirs forever one certain tract
or parcel of land containing fifty acres more or less situate lying and
being in Washington County on the waters of the rolling fork and
bounded as follows, to wit BEGINNING	 AT A Ash in William Copleys line
thence
N 0o _ 144 poles to a dogwood and sugartree thenceS 8o W 58 poles to an
hickory, thence S 18o _ 61 poles to a dogwood thence S 35 poles to a
maple and dogwood thence N 45o E 62 poles to two dogwoods thence S 27oE
103 poles to the BEGINNING with its appurtenances To have and to hold
the said tract or parcel of land with its appurtenances to the only
proper use and behoof of him the said Lawless and his heirs forever and the
said Joseph Gray for himself his heirs Exors. Adnors. And assigns the
said land and premises unto the said Bird Lawless and his heirs shall
and will forever warrant and defend against the claim or claims of all
and every other person or persons whatsoever  In Witness whereof the said
Joseph Gray has hereunto set his hand and affixed his seal the day and
year above Written.

Witness						Joseph Gray  [seal]
Benjn Lawless
Andrew Given
Burton Lawless

Washington County Sct. I. John Reed Clerk of the County Court for the
County aforesaid do hereby Certify that on the day of the date hereof
this Indenture was acknowledged before me in my office by the within
named Joseph Gray to be his act and deed and thereupon admitted to Record.
In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 22nd day of
October 1804.
				John Reed

A Copy – Attest:
		John M. Smothers, Clerk Washington County Court
		By Mae McElroy D. C.

Transcribed from a typed copy by
Patricia O’Connor
p-oconnor at att.net

Additional Comments:
This deed book was transcribed by the county clerk so when film is read for
Deed Book C it is a typed copy of the original.

File at: http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ky/washington/deeds/gray191gdd.txt

This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/kyfiles/