Re: Admin of James Cooley vs. E.C. Cooley

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:40:21 -0800

And Jim noticed that E.C's 2nd marriage was performed by Schmittou,
apparently the same man who was the James's administrator in 1858/59--the
bride being his niece.

http://johncooley.net/list/current/0208.html

There was a John Cooley (1802-) living in Macon county in 1850 and 1860.
In the latter census he was living next to Perrin. I've always assumed he
was Perrin Sr's son. If that's true, and he was James Cooley's (of Dickson
county) brother, why isn't he named in 1858/59? Could it be that we have
two Johns (son of Perrin and son of James) mixed up, just as I believe we
have for a couple of Jameses (son of Joseph and son of James) mixed up?
The John Cooley of 1850 and 1860 appears not to have had children. Was
*he* the son of James (1772-1821)? It would make sense that the John who
died in 1846 was James's (of Dickson) brother rather than a cousin. This
means he would have taken in his sister-in-law and her family. If that's
the case, we would have:

John, father of
Perrin Sr, father of
John, father of
E.C. and Milo

Why would he cut them out of his will?

(I need to call it quits for tonight. I've written about 3 pages of a 6
page essay due tomorrow.)

-Michael

--
Second VP, the Cooley Family Association of America
President, the Genealogy Club of Humboldt State University