Re: Family Serving Under General clark in Ky

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:32:33 -0800

Hi Jane,

I suppose it's possible. All we know about William's service, so far as I
know, is that he served in Captain James Downing's Company in Lincoln
County, 24 October to 24 November 1782. There are no Whites listed in that
roster.

I'm looking at my Aikens up in what was to become the Louisville area.
There were companies from there that also served under Clark. The paths of
any two people who served under Clark may not have crossed at all.

I'm not sure what the history of the Whites is (they're not in my line).
Although there may have been some families that followed William Cooley
into the Lincoln county area I'm coming of the opinion that a lot of the
family alliances we're seeing were formed there. In other words, I suspect
that William Cooley and Joseph Gray arrived separately and that William
met and married Ann Gray in Kentucky.

And then I'm *assuming* that the William who served under Downey is the
same William Cooley. I think that's the case as the timeline follows so
well, but I don't know that any of us have seen direct evidence of it. Has
anyone checked to see if WMC or Ann applied for a pension?

-Michael