Re: William Cooley, a Boone companion

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:56:48 -0800

Yes, this a very famous passage for the Cooleys. William Matthews Cooley
was probably too young to have been this William. And I've seen him listed
elsewhere as William Cool. Unless we can prove that our John Cooley was
not alone in the colonies, I think this man was not related. But we'll
see. We still haven't found an Abraham Cooley to test--the only person of
John's generation we've seen that -might- have been associated in some
way.

-Michael

> [...]
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Michael:
>>
>> First, the source:  James Stuart and Mary Matthews of Wilcox County,
>> Alabama, Book by Helen Odum Harrell. Her email is:  heyladyh_at_yahoo.com
>>
>> The citation is on page 191. Helen is very thorough. As you can see from
>> my
>> record, Sarah's husband is either John S. or Abraham Cooley. Sarah is
>> the
>> daughter of James Matthews, Sr., our Matthews immigrant. James came to
>> the
>> USA in 1718, in September, along w/several brothers & sisters. They
>> landed
>> in Boston & moved to Chester/Lancaster Co., PA & remained there for 5
>> years, then moved to Southside Virginia and from there, to Rowan Co., NC
>> in
>> 1753.
>>
>> Sarah's Mother was Mary McGill.  She is buried in Mecklenburg Co., NC.
>> Sarah's siblings were Robert, William, James Jr., Margaret, Mary &
>> Mussendine. I believe a John as well. Thus, your William Cooley may have
>> been named for his uncle. I further suspect that a Samuel & Thomas were
>> also brothers of Sarah.
>>
>> Most of the family moved to Tennessee in the early 1800s, most to Maury
>> Co., although mine went to Stewart Co.  Three of Mussendine's sons went
>> Sumner Co., TN.
>>
>> You should know that Rowan Co. was subdivided into a great number of
>> counties. Robert & Mussendine were in Iredell Co., William was in
>> Mecklenburg Co.  They were also listed in Surry & Guilford Co. at times.
>> Thus, it is hard to say what county Sarah was married in. I would
>> suspect
>> either Guilford or Rowan.
>>
>> I took the Family Finder Test at Family Tree DNA, as well as the Y-37 &
>> mt.
>> It provides through your 6th cousin both Y & mt. I will check my
>> plethora
>> of matches for the name Cooley and get back to you.
>>
>> The Mathew [original spelling] was NOT Irish, although they emigrated
>> from
>> Ireland. Our forbear, Sir George, was removed from Wales to Tipperary
>> Co.,
>> Ireland in 1608. My branch, including James and his brothers eventually
>> ended up in N. Ireland, Co. Down. The McGill family was from Scotland
>> originally but were also removed to Ireland at about the same time.
>> Thank
>> you King James :-)
>>
>> Let me know if I can provide you with additional information.
>>
>> Steve Matthews
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Michael Cooley
>> <michael_at_newsummer.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephen,
>>>
>>> Jane Wisdom gave me you email address.
>>>
>>> A descendant of William Matthews Cooley has tested his Y chromosome.
>>> It's
>>> a match to ten descendants of John Cooley of Surry/Stokes co NC
>>> me). You mention on your ancestry page that William's mother was Sarah
>>> Matthews. Can you tell me what the source for that information is?