Re: Dickson Co. census - COOLEY - BAILEY

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:18:36 -0700

Hi Jane,

Derrin Cooley is Perrin Cooley Sr. Although he had a large family, none of
his children have been proved.

Personally, I've all but given up on figuring out which Cooleys belong to
which of the Missouri Cooley families by their proximity to one another.
The families of Joseph, Perrin and James appear to have largely
intermixed, location-wise. There may be some sense to it, but I haven't
found it yet. :)

Given that, I think that William and James were sons of Perrin. Because of
that, I had once thought that this John was another of Perrin's sons but
I've never been able to square it with subsequent census years. (I think
the John Cooley on the 1860 in Macon county was Perrin's.)

Nancy Cooley was probably the widow of Isaac, James's son.

These are the readings I have for these Cooleys. Note that Perrin Cooley
had a young male living with him. James Cooley had no children in either
the 1830 or 1840. That's why I think the kids living with him (if it is
the same James) in 1850 TN are not his and that he may have been acting as
a guardian. Nancy's two sons are probably William Washington Cooley and
another John (m Sarah Ann Treadwell).

1840 > MISSOURI > RANDOLPH > NO TWP LISTED
Series: M704 Roll: 229

Page: 283
Perrin Cooley Sr 001000001 000000001
John Cooley 210001 01100101