Re: Another "English descent" reference

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:51:15 -0700

Bill Cooley, of the Ens Benjamin line, went to Ireland in 2008. He says this:

--quote--
One of the reasons I wanted to go to Ireland was to explore the Cooley
Peninsula, which is about 50 miles north of Dublin, in County Louth. I
thought that would be a good place to find possible relatives. I also
wanted to find Cooley Point, which is the eastern tip of the Cooley
Peninsula. We have a summer place in New Hampshire which is on a point of
land on a salt water bay in Durham, NH, which we named Cooley Point,
without knowing that one existed in Ireland.

My main discovery of this trip is that all of the Cooley references in and
around County Louth, where the Cooley peninsula is located, have nothing
to do with the Cooley surname, but are based upon the place name Cuailnge,
which is Irish for Cooley. This location is very famous because it is
where the “Cattle Raid of Cooley” (the best known Irish epic in the Ulster
Cycle) took place. So there is the Cooley Distillery, the Cooley Lodge,
the Cooley Tractor Festival, the Cooley Mountains, and of course Cooley
Point, all derived from that famous epic myth, with no relationship to any
Cooley family name whatsoever.
--endquote--

http://billcooley.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=3

-Michael