Re: Cooley/Bearden

From: The Cooleys <lvcooley5_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 02:14:16 -0700

The 1835 marriage is problematic. Though E.C.'s death record states his
birth as 4 Oct 1834
his 1900 census record states Oct 1835, and most of his other census
records state his age
more consistently for an 1835 birth. Which is still over a month before
the marriage. But there
could have been a shotgun or two in attendance. With Elizabeth born in
1833 that gets a bit
more dicey.

Something else I recently came across:

1870 Hamby, Christian Co. KY Census July 18th

47 Julian Ann Martin 55 VA

48 William A. Martin 32 KY

49 Irvin (E.C.) Cooley 34 MO

and towards the end of the census

253 Melor (Milo) Cooley 30 TN
          Polly (Martha) 65 TN
          Robert 10 TN

The above is nothing new, but compare to:

1880 Hamby, Christian Co. Census June 11th

142 WJ Martin 42 KY

143 Martha Cooley 75 GA
         Julia Ann 59 VA

The implication is that with E.C. and family now in Muhlenberg Co. and
Milo and 2nd wife not found,
Martha is now in E.C.'s old neighborhood, living next to William
Martin, the presumed son of Julia
Ann, who is not found as Julia Ann Martin: Is Julia Ann really Martha's
daughter, as stated, or are
these just two widows living in E.C.'s former home?

With that in mind, I suggest the following for the 1840 Randolph Co. Census:

2 males under 5 (Milo & Willow)
1 male 5-9 (E.C.)
1 male 30-39 (John)

1 female 5-9 (Elizabeth)
1 female 15-19 (Julia Ann?)
1 female 30-39 (Martha)
1 female 50-59 (? ? ? )

Elizabeth and Julia Ann COULD have been the product of an earlier
marriage for Martha. I will
continue to search for such an event. And I will hope to find a male
descendant of E.C. to take
the test. Once he is in the clan for sure, some of these loose ends
should tighten up.

Jim